Thursday, September 30, 2010

Letter # 99 September 26, 1943

Sept 26, 1943
Dearest sweetheart;
Hello Chubbins, old dear, just think, two weeks from right now I'll be by you again. Gosh honey I can hardly contain myself. I'm going to like that an awful lot. Honey if laying on your stomach in front of the fire causes you to write such nice love letters you better try it again sometime. Your Thurs. eve one was a dandy. I'll have to save that one. Enough there to hold over you for life. I'm warning you, I intend to keep you all that time too. You're sweet and I love you.
Marg did get down to see me, but we rather got our signals mixed. She had said in her last letter that she would cable me if she was coming. So when I didn't get a cable I just thought she wasn't coming and then when I got my mail at 10:30 this morning, here was a letter from her saying she would meet me at 9:30 at the depot. So I got my ass in gear, jumped into my O.D.'s and took off. I left word at the orderly room, that if a phone call came for me to say I was on my way. The bus line was a half mile long so it was 1230 when I got to the depot. No Marg and I had no idea how to reach her at her friend's, so I asked when the bus left for Indianapolis and they told me 1-3-5 so I decided to wait until she came back to go home.
Went out and had a little dinner and was back a little before 1. There she sat as big as you please. Nice blue uniform with a gold rocker on each shoulder. She was talking with a soldier and hadn't seen me. I walked over and made my presence known. She knew me and didn't think I had changed so much, just a little thinner. So there to.
She and Chris had waited for me until 10 and then gone back to Chris's quarters. She then decided to phone me, but had forgotten my address, so she called her roommate at Ft.Ben, got the address and by that time I was on my way in. They told her and so she came back to the depot.
She looks good in her uniform. Dark blue. Hat and blouse very much the same as mine, white shirt, black tie, knee length skirt, ordinary color stockings, and black sensible heeled oxfords. She wears no patch on the shoulder yet, but if she stays where she is, will have the five point star on the round background.
It was such a swell fall day we went out to Iroquois Park, that's out by Churchill Downs, and spent the afternoon walking around and talking. Talked like a couple old maids. I took a few pictures of her and she took a couple more of me. Her basic is over now and she will have her regular job and hours from now on. 6 hrs a day. One day a split shift from 7-9 A.M. and 1-5 and the next from 7-1. Will have one Sunday a month off. She says she may be moved any place in the 5th Corps area or she may stay there. She likes it very much so far, but is going to be very disappointed if she's turned down again, when she comes up for reclassification. She's rather pinning her hopes on being able to get into things. She's going to be much like I am. Get sick of staying in a camp and not being able to see where she is doing much good.
Altogether we had a very nice time. Got back in time to eat a sandwich and get her on the 5 o'clock bus back to Ft.Benj.Harrison.
I sure got even with that Lt. Made her wait 3 hrs. for me and didn't even get a bawling out.
Don't worry about the flopping situation honey. If I don't get enough in the time we have, and I'll probably get more than I can handle, why I'll just have to look up some of these girls that think I'm interesting looking.
I wrote Mickey a letter this morning before I left.
Don't kid yourselves about the boys' not getting a kick out of you girls making a fuss over them. They're wolves and don't sort them married or single.
It's way past my bedtime now so I guess I'll let this go for tonight. I'll try to make up for it some other time.
You talk about being fortunate in having a nice husband and etc. but I still think I've got the best end of the deal. You're so sweet and you sure make a very satisfactory wife. I love you darling and I bet that two weeks from tonight I'll be showing you.
your lover
Norm.
P.S. I forgot to tell you that your husband got another promotion and is now T/5.

No comments: