Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Letter # 80 September 6, 1943

Sept 6, 1943
Hello Sweetness;
Boy, is it raining. After fooling around for several days it has finally gotten started. We got drowned this noon coming back from school, didn't take our raincoats this morning. I haven't one at present anyhow. I turned mine in for salvage. See if I can get a good one before Fall rains set in. Don't mind being wet in warm weather but this winter will be a different story.
Right now we are laying around waiting to be called out. It's just pouring and if it keeps up they may not call us out at all. Might wait until tomorrow. Just swap afternoons. Sure looks like it was set for the afternoon. I'm just improving my time writing my old woman while I'm waiting. I love that old woman and I sure am missing her. First Labor Day for a long time we haven't been together. I'll never forget that time 4 yrs. ago up in Michigan. Sweet misery or something. That was about the first time I knew she could be passionate. Wow. Was she passionate, but not in the least satisfactory. I was rather warm myself. Took me a week to get over that. In spite of that I wouldn't mind doing it over again if I had to, to be with you. Hope I never have to though.
Glad you got the box of candy and it was still in shape to eat. I was rather doubtful about sending it but I thought I would try it anyhow. I told them at the P.X. to wrap it well but it didn't feel as though they had done a good job. I just happened to see the Yank and put it in. I have another here now that I will send sometime. I thought I was rather smart to remember our anniversary. I'd be rather dumb if I could forget it while I'm missing you so much. If I had you all the time I might forget, but not this way.
Maybe you don't realize it honey, but I think of you a hell of a lot and remember all the good times we've had together. I'm looking forward to the time when we'll be able to have them all over again. I don't like this business of being away from you anymore than you do. Even though I am always with a bunch of fellows I seem to feel rather lost and alone. Never was that way when I had you. Even if you weren't right with me I knew I would see you in a few hours at most. Now it's different. Won't be so bad this time though, only 36 more days. Boy am I counting the days and looking forward to that time. You sure made your mark on me honey. Just can't be satisfied without you anymore. If all this doesn't convince you I love you, you'll just have to wait until I can show you again. I sure don't know how else to tell you.
Thanks for the nice anniversary card Darling. I tried to find one to send you but they were all worded wrong. Meant for both to be together.
They finally blew the whistle to fall out about 3. It was still raining so instead of getting us all wet they piled us all in one barracks and had a gas lecture and this & that etc. Boy this is really a rugged outfit. We were dismissed already a 4. Done for the day. If they don't let up pretty soon I'll be a physical wreck. Just can't stand the pace they set up here. Too much sleep and rest and not enough work.
Don't worry about my money situation. It's swell. Have plenty of my own left yet and the $20.00 you gave me. Besides, Friday the Eagle shits again and I'll be rich. If I need any I'll call you, don't worry.
Too bad Louise is taking it so hard. I feel genuinely sorry for her. I know this army business is hard on women. I know I told you long ago, it looked to me like it was harder on the women than the men. I know one little woman that has taken a beating and been a swell soldier all the way. I love her too. Know who I mean?
I still can't figure who Jim Dunn is. Must be someone I knew very slightly if at all. Maybe just one of these birds that write to all soldiers.
After laying around all day yesterday Readinger and I decided we'd have to go out and do a little howling. We picked up another fellow, Sgt Metz, another 8th A.O. man and we sure went on a spree. Went down to the theater and saw "The Sky's the Limit" Fred Astaire. Just a fair show. Saw a couple nice girls while we were waiting to get in, but they belonged to some officers, so no luck there. Came back and were in bed at 9 so we really had a wild evening don't you think? May go again Thurs or Fri. "Salute to the Marines" is playing. Technicolor and supposed to be good.
Well honey I've written all I can think of for now. As Redinger says, "I've turned in my sugar report" so I'll quit and say Bye, Bye darling. I loves you.
Just noticed something I hadn't seen before on your letter. To be perfectly frank I'm not too wild about your new stationery but what the hell do I care about the paper. All I want is what you say on it.
Now I'll have to say goodbye all over again. Just like the days before we were married. Get as far as the door and then hate to go home.
Keep those shapely legs crossed. I love you honey. Night mummy.
your lover
Norm

No comments: