Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Letter # 95 September 22, 1943

Sept. 22, 1943
Wed. aft. 1500
My darling wife;
I don't quite know how it happened but I got your Sunday letter last eve and your nice long Sat. letter this noon. You really must have worked on that one. 5 whole pages. I'll have to call that one a short novel or something. I got it after chow and it took me so long to read it I was almost late for Peter T.I. [short arm inspection to you]. I sure do like them, I'm talking about the letters again, but don't use all your spare time writing. I know it must have kept you from a very nice nap.
You're a sweet old devil and I love you even if you do make more fuss over Angie than you do over me. As long as you only make the fuss over them and save the rest for me I'm satisfied.
So the boys at the P.O. think I'm writing too many letters. If they would take a real good look at what I'm writing to, they would wonder why I didn't write more. You can tell them I'll give them a rest in a couple weeks and after that maybe they will have me back to work and I won't have time to write every day. I'm just taking advantage of it while I can. Can't let you forget me especially now when it's only a couple weeks until I expect to be with you for a while. Gotta have you all primed, so I won't have to waste any time priming after I get there. Want you just like you were down here. From all indications I will be all ready. I dreamed about you again last night, and although all I could remember of it was that I discovered after I was home that I had forgotten my furlough papers and had to come back after them. There must have been more because I sure had a mess. Had to get up and change underwear. Must have been loving you for quite a while.
By the time 17 more days roll around I should be in good shape, if that is any indication. We like you honey. You bother us even when you're 350 miles away. You're quite a girl.
Glad Harold got the razor fixed. I was just a little afraid they might not be repairing them anymore. I'll see him about the cost when I get home. It wouldn't be more than $1.50 or $2.00.
You can tell the girls that it's O.K. that they are married because Angie is too. I didn't know that until just recently. He doesn't exactly act married.
Schindler is single and his hair is somewhat curly. He comes from St. Louis.
So you think you might be a 150 pound glamor girl soon? Don't let it get that bad honey. While you would be a swell looking person if you were, I like you just the way you are and I know the only way you would get that light would be from too much work or worry or not enough to eat. So don't do it.
I'm afraid my new girlfriend "Torchy" will spoil those nice soft hands of mine. Grease and wrenches for the rest of the time I'm here. Nevertheless I'll still use my hands on you whether they be soft or hard, and you better like it too.
It will be swell if Gus can come and get me, and as far as me not being home so soon if we stay over till Sunday, what the hell do I care about that as long as I have you? In fact, that way we would probably be able to start that 3rd honeymoon several hours quicker.
It would be too much to drive down and back without rest. We can see the Wilkersons again too. If you really decide to come down, you had better drop her a line, so we'll have a place to stay. I didn't say sleep.
Well honey I guess that about covers your letter.
We all took our bedding out for an airing this afternoon and some Son-of-a-bitch stole one of my blankets. I reported it as soon as I knew, but if it doesn't show up I suppose the army will try to charge me for it. I'm going to have my say first though. They are supposed to have guards on duty all the time the beds are out.
I was on detail again this afternoon. It was about as usual only we were done at 3 instead of 4. We only worked about 1/2 hr. As I said before we had a Peter T.I. right after chow. Didn't say I had caught anything yet. All these girls I've been out with must be O.K.
Today we started putting "Torchy" together again and have gotten most of her insides back already. I guess tomorrow we will give her a new dress of O.D. paint and then she will begin to look better. She sure is a tough baby to work on though. I'll be a contortionist when I get through. Every square inch is used for something.
Night sweetheart. I'll try not to dream quite so hard about you tonight. Not much fun and beside that I want to save it all for you in person. I love you Chubbins. Boy only 17 more days.
your dreaming husband.
Norm.

No comments: