Friday, November 26, 2010

Letter # 136 November 26, 1943

Nov 26, 1943
Fri. Eve.
Sweetheart;
Here it is Friday night again. Four weeks since I arrived here. If it wasn't for missing a certain old devil it would have seemed very long. Have been so busy the days just roll by. Can't realize that Wed. is the first of Dec. already. No snow or cold weather to make it seem at all like winter. When I left last March, Dec and the first of 1944 seemed a hell of a way off, but here they are just around the corner. It won't be long and it will be a year that I've been a soldier. Hardly seems possible. Didn't think I could stand being away from you that long, but I've done it, so I guess I can stand the rest of the time. Hoping this will all be over and I can come home before another like period rolls around. I love you honey and don't want to spend too much time away from you. You might get used to being without me and not want me back again. "Then I'd be hurtin and plenty bad."
Haven't got much to report today. Just an ordinary busy day in the garage, repairing tanks. Was putting a new engine in one today. They are finally giving us a few new parts. Now if we get the time maybe we can get these old babies on the ball again.
Grafton's outfit hasn't gone yet, but the indications are still good. They have about a hundred flatcars on the siding and part of them are already loaded. The latest shit house rumor is that instead of Knox, they are going to Calif. and we are supposed to follow by the 1st of the year. Just keeping you posted on the rumors. They usually don't mean anything, as you well know by now.
Mac is still in the hospital, and I haven't heard anymore from him.
Don't know if we work again Sunday or not, but it looks like it. You'll just have to make excuses to people for me not writing, if they continue to keep us as busy. Just have time to write to my honey and then get to bed when I get my chores done. Have a bucket of fatigue stew brewing now. Will finish them after lights go out.
Well now I guess I can finish answering your letters. I got your Tues. letter this evening so I now have Sun. Mon, & Tues to answer, to bring me up to date.
You're a sweet, thoughtful old devil to assure me you wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't get you a Christmas present. I have been thinking and wondering about it. Don't get a chance to get to town when any of the stores are open. So, much as I hate it I may not be able to do anything about it. You always were such a satisfactory person to get things for, get such a kick out of it. I don't like to be forced to do it to you but I'll sure try to make it up when I get home again. You're a sweet old devil and I love you like hell. Just one thing about this as I've said before. Don't send me any presents unless it's something to eat. You also save your money for the next honeymoon. That will be the best present ever no matter when it comes. I mean this too, you old devil.
I can't figure what happened to that Wed. letter either. I suppose they lost it someplace. I can't remember what I wrote but I guess nothing so very important. Probably just a love letter.
So you flopped already again. You sure keep me changing the marks on my calendar. What's happened to you? Used to be able to tell the day by your periods. That nearly puts you back on schedule again. Must be I was a disturbing influence the last time. By the way you haven't said how Margaret came out. O.K. I hope.
Also, if you get hold of a small calendar, preferably one sheet with all on it, send it. I may not get one and I need it to keep track of the days.
My itch is all gone. That hot salve did the job. Only took a couple applications.
I haven't been out of camp, but as far as the fishy business is concerned, I wouldn't have to. When the boys don't get out for a couple weeks, the gals come in. I can assure you that I got that itch innocently. Haven't been away from you long enough yet to be strongly tempted.
I am figuring on going to town sometime, but just so I can say I've been in that infamous town. It would take a hell of a good gal to really tempt me, after having you for three years. I'm just too particular now. There just aren't many like you made. I love you honey.
It's nice of you to throw a party for Louise. It's too bad she's gotten so ornery, but I can see a little excuse. I know I get a little ornery and your Mom says you do too. Not so much fun being separated. Just not quite satisfied. Something missing and you know what.
Your letters are very sweet and I love 'em all. Like you I always get a lift out of them. Just something between us.
Night sweetheart. I'm still loving you as much as ever and thinking of you constantly. Never thought one person could so dominate my thoughts and actions, especially when you are so far away. You're some gal, honey. I love you so much.
Your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: