Thursday, November 11, 2010

Letter # 123 November 11, 1943

Nov 11, 1943
Thurs. Eve.
Dear Mummy;
Got your Sunday evening letter this noon. From the sound of your letter you must not be getting very good service on my letters or else I don't remember what I wrote, when. So far I have written every day. Are you getting them O.K.? We seem to have kind of a hit or miss mail system here and I was just wondering.
Honey it isn't that I don't love you as much as ever, if I haven't done as well on the love letter business, but just that I haven't as much time to write. Those love letters took a lot of time, hunting for the proper words. I have so far had news enough to take up most of my letter. Someday when I run out of news and have a lot of time, I'll write you one of the old love letters again.
Well Honey, I just got interrupted by being called out for the parade. You see I was writing this in some spare time after I had gotten dressed. I've now had supper and mail call and what do you know? I got two more letters from my sweet wife. Your Monday aft. & Monday night ones. You sure are getting to be some letter writer. I can't hope to compete with that. 2 letters each day for 2 days. I thought I was doing pretty well to keep up the one a day, but that sure beats me. I just can't keep up with you. I love them though and you can write as many as you wish.
I see there are a few questions in your letters so I'll go over them now. All three of them. You're a devil but I love you, love you & love you.
I might agree with Mickey to a very small extent, that separation may be good for a couple, but only a very, very little. All the good I can see that has come of it, is, that I have come to realize just how much you mean to me and how very much I love you. That's worth a lot, but I think the price is rather high also. I don't like it a bit. I'd sooner have all my time with you. After all we got a late start and can't have more than 50 or 60 yrs left. The three we've had have been so perfect that even the 60 more wouldn't be enough. So there too. I love you and don't forget it.
Kinda funny as I read your Sun. letter, I find a sentence almost exactly the same as one I wrote you. We had both gone to the show Sunday night, by ourselves and we both say the same thing, "Nobody to hold hands with." Must be we are both rather lost without the other.
I don't care if you do call yourself my sweet, generous, natural wife. I think you are too and I can add a lot more nice adjectives to that. Good looking, good natured, very exciting, curvaceous, soft, warm, loving and even passionate. Best wife a man ever had. I could do better than that if I could just think of the words. Next time we meet, I'll show you and you can also gather from the contented look about me how much I mean all I've said.
You don't have to apologize for not being quite in top shape the last few days. I thought you were just about perfect. Even when you didn't feel the urge you still kept up the good work, just to satisfy me. You were swell honey, and don't be getting the idea you weren't.
I'll take that as a promise, that you will try to be like I like you the next time. I'm sure looking toward that time already. I know it won't be long. { I'm too old for it to grow anymore} but I think I can promise it will be hard and all rested up, ready for action. Whoope.
The news from Mickey sounds very good. Hope he makes it. Even if they do think separation is good for them, I bet they won't loose much time getting together again, given the opportunity. That would be just about perfect to be sent to Columbus for college. That would even be a better break than we had. He would be there a lot longer. If he really is chosen he won't have any trouble cutting the last two weeks of basic. I've got my fingers crossed for them.
That's no. two letter and now for your third. The very nice love letter. You are getting very good, sweetheart, keep it up. I love 'em even if you do say a lot of things about me that aren't true. I just eat it up coming from you.
I wrote about Sgt. Brown but I see you have looked back and gotten the dope from one of the old letters.
I gather you aren't liking the teaching any better than ever. Can't say I blame you, but as long as you have to do something I still think it's about as good as you could do. You had better be wanting to be my wife, because if I have anything to say about it, that is what you are always going to be, and I'm not "bird terding".
When this damn war is over and they turn me loose again, you're going to stay at home and be my loving wife. I know you are a good teacher, but I also know you are a better wife, and anyhow you can do your teaching on me.
I really don't know what to say about Bob {Effinger} either, for Christmas I mean. I haven't seen him for so long, he's a stranger. I would think the tie or a shirt or something like that would be as good as anything. Money wouldn't mean much, he probably has that to burn anyhow.
As far as a package to me. There really isn't a thing I need or want except you and you can't very well send yourself. I don't want to carry any more stuff around with me. I expect to be moving around quite a bit and it may start most anytime, so you can understand.
Why don't you just send me a cake or something like that. I will appreciate that as much as anything and can get rid of it in a hurry. Then you can save your money and if we get a chance, spend it to come see me. I would like that a lot. About the only thing I'm short of is a few pairs of wool or part wool socks. Grey if possible. You see when we go on maneuvers we can only take so much baggage.
As for sending them I would think the 10th or 12th of Dec would be plenty of time. As you say I couldn't have a package around very long. If it comes late what's the difference? I'll be thinking of you anyhow.
I have already written my impression of you coming way down here on those few days and at that time of year. Travel will be hell, I bet. Just hold your horses and maybe we will get a better chance.
Thanks a lot sweetheart for taking care of the family Christmas. I was going to ask you anyhow. I'll give you a big kiss and a hug, next time I see you. Remind me if I forget. As for the cards, do whatever you want.
I may not have anything better stored up in me anywhere along love making lines but I sure have a lot more of the same. What I meant by getting a chance was a longer time, years in fact. Can't do anymore than get a good start in 15 days.
Well honey, I guess that covers your letters and I'll quit for tonight. Running out of time. You aren't the only one that wished I could warm you and your bed. I like that job. Night darling wifey. I love you.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: