Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Letter # 128, November 16, 1943

Nov 16, 1943
Darling Tootsie Wuggles;
No letter from you today, honey. I guess Sunday interfered. Probably get two tomorrow, and I won't be here to get them until late tomorrow night. Oh well, guess I can wait. Don't know what I would do if my wife wasn't a very faithful letter writer. Love letter writer I should say. They're sweet honey and I love 'em.
I finished school today and have to go out and fire the carbine tomorrow. All day detail I expect. McDonald starts the same school I just finished. Boy they sure fuck things up in great shape. All the mechanics work we have to do and then they won't let any of us work. Didn't learn very much at the school anyhow. The first three days were good, but the rest has just been a waste of time.
For the next week while Mac is at school I will be the mechanic in charge. Some business. 2 weeks in an entirely new outfit and I will have to take charge. In some ways this outfit is crazy as hell and in others it is O.K. I guess they are all the same and all the army. Situation normal, all fucked up.
I'm just doing a little bitching, but don't try to make anything of it. Just telling you what is what and I don't feel any different about it than I always have. I haven't done much bitching before so I thought I better explain a bit, so you wouldn't think I was too disgusted.
Grafton dropped in for a few minutes just now. First time I've seen him since we've been back. Says they are keeping him plenty busy. Lots of work getting their equipment in shape. I guess I told you he is now a T/4. You don't know the others but they were at Knox with us. I guess it's true that they are leaving soon and the rumor is still Fort Knox. Grafton says they were told to send all extra clothes and things home, and they are already on the alert ready to move at any time, and no one allowed to leave the camp. They were told they would probably be at some camp for a couple months and then they might take a long trip. Sounds very much like the real thing. Grafton says too much like it to suit him, but he is getting ready, bought himself a hell of a big hunting knife. Must have a blade a foot long. Says if he gets cornered he's going to cut his way out.
These two Tank Bns. were formed at the same time, 710 & 775 and are the only men out of the original eighth division. I don't know if it means anything to this outfit or not. Not at present at least. For the past two weeks the 710 has been getting new equipment and we haven't so I don't think we are ready to move yet. Probably have some advance warning.
From what Grafton says I am not the only one that has been fucking up. Ernie was almost broken for failing to salute some smart bastard of a 2nd Lt. He had his back to him and didn't even see him. He finally got out of it by a very slim margin.
Schindler is in the same outfit as Ernie apparently and Grafton says he really got screwed. Still a Pfc. and no prospect for anything different. Wild is also a Pfc. He was the smarty boy I spoke about when we were first at Knox. Grafton says he is really burned up.
Angie is in the mechanized Calvary and still has his T/5. I guess that is all the news I got from him.
Piecing on some more of your cookies. They sure taste swell. I wasn't quite as selfish with them as I was with the cake but I saw to it that I kept most of them.
Just think sweetheart the 16th of Nov. If I was home I bet I'd have the old shotgun all shined up and ready for the first big day. I don't know when it is this year but I imagine soon. First time in 12 years that I've missed it. Maybe that will be like some other things I miss, a lot more enjoyable when I get a chance again. I don't miss the hunting half as much as I miss the other things I was thinking of. Bet you can't guess what I'm referring to. I knew you couldn't. You are all the things rolled into one person. A very nice, loving and altogether lovable person too, so there.
Hope your cold is better and if you have gone back to school I hope it wasn't too hard on you. That was quite a vacation. Over a month. Boy, do I wish I could have been there all the time.
Night darling, I'm loving you and missing you a lot. Here's a nice squeeze and kiss, several of them. I'd go further than that but the distance is too great. I love you.
Norm.

No comments: