Saturday, November 13, 2010

Letter # 125 November 13, 1943

Nov 13, 1943
Hello Sweetheart;
After that short letter last night, I had very good intentions of writing you a nice long letter tonight, but just as I was getting started, Max Stanisbury dropped in, remember him, so I lost a lot of time gabbing and now I don't think I'll make a very long one after all.
Max is like the rest of us old men, doesn't like the army as much as he could, but is still here. He is also still in the motor park and has Peterson for C.O.
We are working tomorrow, at least most of the day. Start at 0800 and the tanks are to go to the field on overnight bivouac at noon. We mechanics will have to go out with them and then come back, so I imagine it will be most all day. I have to be back here to go to school Monday, so I know I'll come back in anyhow.
I've got a little story to tell you about how well I'm getting off with the new Co. commander. I rather fucked up, partly my fault and partly someone else. In a way it's rather funny.
This school that I'm going to is at the bottom of the whole business. It is apparently something the battalion commanders aren't in favor of, but is ordered by the 19th Corpse. Anyhow no one seemed to pay much attention to it. They came around Monday and just told us to go morning and afternoon and no specified time. Well the first morning we went at 0730 and the instructor never showed up until about 0830. He is a civilian, wasn't an army man in charge at all. At noon we went back at 1300 and again he wasn't there until quite a bit later. Next day was the same story and then in the afternoon they pulled me out and sent me to the field. Next day the same old story. At noon the company was all out in the field, mechanics and etc. were all the men at barracks. As you probably know they always blow a whistle when it's time to go to work. Well this day the first Sargent must have forgotten, we had all gone to sleep and didn't wake up until about 1315, 15 minutes late. We went right down to the motor park and then to school. Got there about 25 after 1 and of course, that was the day the 19th Corpse officers were checking on the school. There was supposed to be about a dozen of us there and Baker, one of our mechanics and I, were the only ones there and we were 25 minutes late. The 19th Captain singled me out because I had the highest rating, asked me why we were late and I just told him I hadn't known of any specified time to be there. I smelled a rat and couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't put someone else in trouble. He then proceeded to make it clear that we were to start at 0700 and 1300 sharp. Then he wanted to know where the rest were and of course I couldn't tell him. They came straggling in about then. Then come to find out our motor Lt. was supposed to be there and a tec. Sargent from another company was to be there as an assistant instructor. Neither had ever been there. I had been acting as a half ass assistant instructor. The factory man had put me in charge of the group on one engine the first day and I found out later he had passed on a good recommendation for me. Me, who never even saw a medium tank before.
Well that was the end of it until the next noon. Thursday. We were only working for half a day because of the Armistice parade. We got to the company at noon and the Co. clerk said the motor Lt. wanted to see me in the orderly room. I went in and he asked me about the same questions the 19th Captain had and then my opinion of the instructor and the school. I had to be honest and tell him I didn't think much of either. He seemed satisfied with that answer and then he asked about what time the instructor had been getting there. I was honest about that also. I didn't know what was in the wind and I was going slow and sticking to facts. Then he wanted to know if I had had any instructions about time to be there and I told him no. He was the one that was supposed to have told us. That was all he wanted to know so I went to barracks and started to get ready for inspection and parade. Had just showered and had my shorts on when the clerk came running in and said the Captain, our co. commander wanted me in the orderly room. I grabbed a pair of fatigues and left on the run. I knew something was cooking and I didn't want it to get too hot. Went in and the Captain was waiting for me. I saluted and etc. He put me at ease and then the first question was, "What about this school business?" I knew what he wanted but was still feeling my way. "Just what do you want to know sir?" I countered. He asked much the same questions about the school instructor and etc and then he wanted to know why I was late 25 minutes. I still couldn't say any different than I had without getting someone else in trouble, the first Sargent was right there and he hands out all the extra details so I gave him the same answer. Had no instructions about time to be there. Then he asked some more questions and found out we didn't leave the company on time. Never asked me why so I didn't volunteer information. He then asked me if I knew he and the motor Lt were restricted for a week because of me being late. I said no, I didn't know it. At the same time I was thinking of a week or two of K.P. extra duty or something for me. But he just smiled a little and dismissed me, and I haven't heard or felt anything more from it yet. Most Co's would have restricted me for twice as long as he was restricted for.
I found out later that all the Captains and motor Lts. in the Battalion were restricted for a week for not having their men at the school. That is also why we are working tomorrow, the whole battalion.
In case you don't know, restricted means they can't leave the camp.
So even if it wasn't all my fault you can see I'm on the good side of the Captain. Even a little surprised they didn't break me down to a buck "ass" private again.
Well honey it's time for lights out so I'll have to quit and I didn't get anything but the story written. I'll write again tomorrow if I get time and answer your last letters. I loves my honey and am thinking of her a lot. Night sweetheart, I love you.
your "fuck up" soldier
Norm

No comments: