Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Letter # 122

Nov 10, 1943
Wed. eve.
My Sweetheart;
I don't know just how much time I'll have to write this evening, so I'm getting a head start, before supper. You see, being a mechanic has its compensations. We don't stand retreat, which is what the rest are doing at present, and as the set up is now, we don't have guard or K.P. either and that is something. So far we haven't had any company duty at all. Just fall out and go to the motor park at 0700, come up for dinner and go back at 1300. Work until 1630 and come back to the barracks. It all works out except the 1630 quitting time. We usually don't get up from the motor park until 1730 and then sometimes we go back and work at night. It isn't all bad. I still like it better than anything else I've seen in the army. Not nearly so much "chicken shit" or "fucking" around as there is with most of these army jobs. Besides, I am busy enough that the days go by rather fast. Don't get too much time to think about how much I miss my wife. The old darling.
The faster the days roll by the quicker I'll be home to stay. Just think another two weeks have already passed. They sure went a lot faster than the last two weeks at Knox. I love you darling.
Just had chow and have a few minutes before we go to an aircraft identification class. You know, training us to be able to recognize all our own and allies planes on sight. I expect it will last for an hour or so and that is the reason I was getting an early start on this letter.
Got your Sunday afternoon letter tonight. That was good service. Postmarked 8 A.M. Monday and I get it Wed. eve. Very nice newsy letter and also you say you have some cookies on the way. Swell. This time I can give you credit and not be complimenting the wrong person. I don't know if I will be as selfish as I was the last time or not. Just depends on how I feel, and how good the cookies are.
So Fred Hazen has a white collar, traveling job. Sounds rather interesting and apparently he is very much on his own. Bet he likes that.
Tony is still all "fucked up" from the sound of things. Looks like he is going to be one of the army misfits. Tough shit. I feel sorry for him.
Foreign cadre would be the same as cadre here, only sent overseas to do their work. A bunch of Sgts, Caps, and etc. sent out to train a new bunch of men in some line or other. I don't believe you ever said if he had any kind of rating yet.
Your T bone steaks sound very good, but I want you to know we had a small steak for dinner, Sunday. Small was right, only about 4 bites, but they were swell. Nice and tender and very tasty.
Time out for class and now I'll finish. They haven't been feeding us too badly, but it sure isn't like being at home and eating the chow you put out. Damn near spoiled me in those few days I was home, honey.
Got paid today and I got quite a nice surprise. Instead of about $30.00 as I thought. I got $40.00. They paid me for the part of the month before October, that I had the rating. So you see you don't have to worry about my money situation. I'm nearly rich.
Glad it's Margaret that's going to do "it" instead of you. I wasn't at all in favor of that business. Has Art {Nichols}ever said anymore about the draft business?
I was in school all day today again. I thought this was to be the last, but a captain from the 19th Corpse, he is in charge of the school, said we were to keep on until he told us to quit. I don't care. I'll go to all the school they want to send me to, but they sure pick a hell of a time for it. Just sent two mechanics to Knox and Brownie on a furlough. Mac, that is T/4 McDonald says maybe he will have to lock the door yet.
This school will help a lot. I'm getting fairly well acquainted with the engines and that was what I needed most. Few more days and I'll be back on the beam again.
Tomorrow we are having a big Armistice Day parade at 1:30 and then a dance afterward. Going to import a bunch of girls I guess. Afraid the dance and the girls don't do me much good. I've been home too recently to be much interested in any strange women yet.
You know honey, I did dream of you last night, and if they hadn't got us out a half hour early, I'm afraid it wouldn't have been clean. I was just ready to love you but good. He was sure liking you and ready for business. I won't try to dream about you tonight, but I am loving you ever and ever so much. Night sweetheart. I love you
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: