Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Letter # 121 November 9, 1943

Nov 9, 1943
Tues. eve.
Babe darling;
I was just thinking. Two weeks ago tonight was the last night I spent with my sweetheart. Time kinda flies but it seems a lot longer than that since I've seen you. Wish I could always have you with me. You're so nice and comfortable to have around beside being good for me. On top of all that I love you like hell. I still can't believe that any woman could become so necessary to me, that I would miss her as much as I do you. You sure slipped up on me, but don't get the idea I'm sorry. I wouldn't trade you for anyone or anything else I've ever seen or heard tell of. I'm not very good at telling you how much I love you, but when that fourth honeymoon comes around, I'll sure do my best to show you.
I don't know how we could make the next any better than the last. I'm really looking forward to it. Nevertheless it can't come too soon or last too long to suit me.
We sure had a wonderful time. We can now mark up another outstanding event in our lives. You were so loving and sweet and so much the perfect wife. I still don't know how I ever was able to leave you. I sure as hell didn't want to. I know I hated it a lot more than I did the first time. I had to kiss you quick and run away or I think I would have bawled like a baby. I sure felt like I was lost or not altogether or something. Empty I guess might come close to it.
We can now look forward to the next time and hope we don't have to part again. We will both be busy and the time will go very quickly, so I guess we can stand it. Just make us appreciate each other more than ever.
The Clearview game was rather a disappointment but I guess they can't win them all. Do they have a game with Wadsworth yet? Remember last year, just about this time of month too. That was the night Mickey got to feeling so good. That was quite a night.
So you were surprised to hear form me so often, but I gather you weren't exactly sorry, so I'll try to keep up those little surprises.
So Fred Hazen is also home. That about accounts for all the boys that left with me, I guess.
Glad to hear Gus Maitland got a small deferment. Maybe something will happen in Washington or someplace to save him yet. I sure hope so.
Ernie hasn't done so bad. Two furloughs in 5 months, but I still think if he was getting one it's too damn bad he couldn't get it from Knox. I haven't seen him yet. Guess he will be back about tomorrow.
Grafton's T/4 is three stripes and a tee. Just add a stripe above mine and you have it. It was a nice break for him. I probably would have the same if I had been put in light tanks. That's the breaks of the game. We already have a T/4 mechanic, McDonald, in this outfit so I imagine I will stay a T/5 for quite a spell.
I guess I'll have to agree with you that there was some excuse for Lady's delinquency. All females around an army camp either do or have to get out. Your remark about her probably liking it too, rather tickled me. Would almost think you were speaking by comparison with yourself. Can't believe old "cold potatoes" mummy would ever come to think it fun. You did kinda act as though it wasn't objectionable. You're a devil.
I didn't get much time in school today. Had to herd a bunch of tanks out to the firing range this morning and then go back out this afternoon and see they all got back again. Good thing I did I guess. All went well on the way out, but this afternoon when I got out there a couple of them wouldn't start and then two developed troubles on the way home. Nothing very serious and they were easily fixed. Anyhow I got them all herded back into the motor park under their own power. I was rather scared of the detail, going out alone to monkey wrench a bunch of tanks I know very little about, but it turned out O.k. this time. Maybe I'll make a mechanic yet.
I got my Esquire and the Nov 5 Gazette today. I see you gave me a write up. Got your Friday letter also.
Night for today, sweetheart. I love you and I think it's about time to have a nice dream about you. Just a nice clean one, I mean.
With lots of love
Norm.

No comments: