Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Letter # 129 November 17, 1943

Nov 17, 1943
Wed. eve.
My Darling Wife;
Hello sweetheart, how are you? Well and lovely and sweet as ever I recon. I was right about getting two letters from you today and I didn't have to wait as long as I thought either.
We got back early from the range, about 1430 and I got your Sat. letter then, and your Sun. one this evening. Both very nice letters. Honey if you don't quit saying such nice things about me, I'll begin to believe them and get a swelled head. I just eat it up though, sweetheart. Never used to like that kind of thing until it came from you. Seems I like most anything you do. Must be because I love you so much.
I did fairly well with the carbine today. Scored 136 out of a possible 150. It was just a routine detail, one of those things that just have to be done every so often. Have to fire the weapons you are supposed to use in combat, a certain number of times before they can send you across. I have now finished the minimum number on all the weapons I, as a mechanic, will be required to handle.
The captain put his foot down today and says no more of this battalion school for any of us. Too much work to do on the tanks. Mac goes on the firing range tomorrow so I'm boss for one day. I imagine that will be enough. The captain says he is going to give us some more men also. They probably won't be mechanics, but they can do a lot of jobs and the rest of us can do the mechanical work.
I had to go to the dispensary and get get some dope for some kind of itch or something I've picked up. Guess I must have been playing with the wrong girl for the past couple weeks. I've been scratching my balls and didn't think much of it until it got bad, itched all the time. Took a look and I've got a patch on both legs the size of my hand, right in the crotch, even a little on the balls. I didn't get it from any old bitch. The medics say it is something caused by diet and climate. Just red and irritated looking and rather uncomfortable. They gave me some sort of salve that sure gave me a hot spot. Burns, but they say it will cure. About half the boys here have the same thing. All go around scratching. Think we all had a bad dose of crabs. Have to get that fixed up before I see you again. It isn't catching but it would be too bad to have you scratching all the time. Make that thing sore and I wouldn't want that. Maybe you'd let me scratch it for you.
So you went to an old maids dance. From the way you talked you didn't even dance. What's the matter couldn't you find a man to dance with? They must be blind or just plain damn fools if they don't want to get as close to you as possible. That's one reason why I could never do much dancing. I like to rub bellies and it affects me strangely.
I'm glad you loaned Gus my suitcase. Hope he has a nice trip. How long is he going to be gone?
Tell me where Tony goes to and what he is doing when you find out.
Wish I could be certain enough of something to tell you to pack up and come along. The army would be a rather nice place if I could go home to you every night and forget it all. Be just like working any other place then.
I won't call you "cold potatoes" anymore, darling. I really couldn't after the performance you put out the last two honeymoons. You were swell, just like I always had thought a perfect wife would be. I'll never forget either, unless you show me something so much better that I can only remember that. I don't see how it would be possible, but you seem to be full of surprises these days. Didn't really know what I had for a wife until recently. I always did think you were swell and you sure looked like what I wanted, and now I find you were more than I ever dreamed you could be. Just took me a long time to discover all the nice things about you.
I don't have much time to read. Hardly do justice to what I have so don't bother to send me anything else. You're a thoughtful old devil. I love you honey. Always taking care of me aren't you?
We have a library at the service club but that is a mile away so I don't get there very often.
I know the holidays aren't far away, and it will be the first we haven't been together, but I'll be thinking of you and with you in spirit even if I can't be there physically.
You were a little mixed about listening to the football game on the car radio, in the Cleve parking lot. That was the Duke - U.S.C. New Year's Game in'39. Sure I remember it. I remember all the things we did together. All red letter days in my life, even if I didn't know it at the time. You just slipped up on me and I didn't know it. I love you sweetheart and always will. Have lots more red letter days as the years go along.
Night honey, I love you.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: