Friday, November 5, 2010

Letter # 117 November 5, 1943

Nov 5, 1943
2000 Fri Eve.
My Darling Wife.
Well Honey, it is now just a week since I've been back in the army. It ain't so bad, in fact now that it has cooled off a bit, I'd just as soon be here as anyplace. Of course I mean any place in the army. I think you know without me saying it that I would much rather be home. I've got much too nice a wife back home to want to be away from her. I love her a lot. Someday I'll be able to prove it again.
Thanks for the pictures honey. The one of Bobby may be perfect, but honestly I never even saw her until I read your letter and wondered who Bobby was. I was much too interested looking at the nice looking female in the picture. I think I could go for her. Can I reserve a date with her for the next time I get a furlough? The pictures are all nice.
Maybe you think you are missing your husband but you don't know how much I miss my wife.
From the sound of the business about Jean going to work, it sounds as though Gus [Maitland] is definitely going to have to go. I thought or rather hoped maybe they would defer him or something. It's a damn shame. We all wish the damn business was over.
I can't seem to get used to writing again either. It was so much more satisfactory to have you where I could get in range, when I wanted to talk to you, and when I wanted to do a little loving. I didn't have to try to think of the proper words. I could just take you in my arms and love you.
I can imagine you doing the things you mention, but I'd much rather I didn't have to imagine. I miss all those little things you and I used to do.
Your mail service is pretty good. I don't know if air mail helps or not. I got your Tues. letter. You mailed it at 2 P.M. on the 3rd and I got it this evening at 6 P.M. Friday the 5th. Two days and mine took 3 days from what you say, so it looks like it gains about a day. Would you sooner that I send mine airmail also? Say so if you would like me to. I can buy the stamps by the book and it won't be any extra bother.
Tell Louise not to feel bad about Mick's picture. All these army pictures seem to be disappointing. You can like mine if you want to, but I still don't.
You don't have to tell me the fifteen days was just a teaser, and that you were in good shape again, to make the "old thing" stand at attention. He already started doing that during one of my naps on the train, the day I left you, and he's been up most every morning before I have. He's an early riser and he sure likes you. Enough of that or I'll have trouble putting him to bed.
"Brownie" and I went to the machine gun range with a bunch from another company. Got up at 4 A.M. had breakfast and took off. About 30 miles out to the range and we were riding in open vehicles. It was rather cool and was the first time in La. that I can remember being uncomfortably cool. I didn't take any coat or anything. I have to learn this climate in the winter. It cools off nice at night. Well anyhow, we did our shooting and while our score doesn't sound very good we were a long ways from poorest. We both had a score of 5 hits out of a possible 20.
The average was about 2. The target is about 800 yds away and is moving at about 25-30 miles an hour. It is 6 ft. square and seems like it would be easy to hit, but it sure as hell isn't. The highest score was 7 and that fellow had shot the gun several times before.
"Brownie" is going on furlough next week, I guess. He sure as hell has it coming. Over a year since he's had one. Since he has been motor Sgt. he has never had a crew that could handle the work so he couldn't leave. I don't know if he has yet, but we sure as hell can lock the door if we can't do it.
Well sweetheart, I'm going to say night and go S.S.S.S. and then bed.
I love you darling and am looking toward that time, whenever it may be.
With love and everything
Norm.

No comments: