Friday, July 23, 2010

Letter # 68 July 23, 1943

July 23, 1943
1400 Fri. Aft.
Dearest Wifey;
Well honey I've finally got some good news. Now don't get excited. It isn't a furlough but it is good news never-the-less. I have an excellent opportunity to turn the tables on you and make you wait for the surprise good news. But I don't know if I can be that way or not. It's almost too good to be kept and anyhow it takes place so soon, not later than the first of August so maybe I should tell you all about it. Now don't get curious and jump over part of this letter to find out what it is. Promise you won't or I'll make you wait for tomorrow's installment to find out what it is. Do you promise? Good, then I'll tell you a little bit. No, it isn't a rating or anything like that. Better than that. I had hoped that it might happen but was so doubtful of it that I never said anything about it.
Have I teased you enough yet or should I keep on for a little longer? Knowing how you like surprises I guess I better keep you in suspense a little longer. Aren't I mean though honey? I told you I would get back at you for making me wait on your surprise a while ago. I think I'll go over and get me a drink at the P.X. before I tell you. Boy it sure is hotter than hell here today. If that is where I'm headed for after life it will be a snap after this session of hot weather. I bet you are consigning me to that very place about now.
No luck with the drinks, they don't have a bit of ice.
What am I doing talking about other things at a time like this? Just teasing you of course. Have you had enough yet, you old devil? No? Well then I won't tell you just yet. I love you honey but I do get a kick out of teasing you. Now I have a little bad news before I tell you the good.
I just came back from the Orderly Room. I asked the old man about a leave of some kind even if only 3 or 4 days but no soap. I definitely will not get a furlough until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Now don't get too excited, just wait until I tell you the good news.
I guess I've made you wait long enough but this is the first chance I've had to tease you for a long time and you had it coming you old devil you. I love you honey even if I do tease you.
Have you been honest and not peeked to see what the news is? I think you have so I'll tell you on the next sheet.
I am being transferred to Fort Knox, Ky. mechanical school for 16 weeks. Now ain't that something? We are to be there by the 1st of August, at least that is the story now. The damn army may change its mind but I think this is nearly certain. I won't be entirely sure until I get there though.
I tried to get a three or four day start and then I could have come home for a day or so. I know you probably would have been in bad shape, it's that time of the mo, but I wouldn't have minded that so much. It would have been swell just to see you.
There are quite a few men going from the division and we will go on troop train, so I couldn't take off before the rest. I even offered to stand the train fare myself but no soap.
After I get there and get settled a week or so I won't have any objection to you coming to see me there over a weekend or maybe for a week or so. That's back in civilization and I imagine you can do O.K. there. I don't know any of the particulars or anything about my schedule there but I guess we go to school 6 days a week during the entire course. We'll see about that later.
Anyhow I won't be so very far from home and even if I can't get home, maybe I can talk you into coming to see me once in a while on Sat. night. That will be swell. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed that they don't change their minds this time.
I'm not so wild about the school, although it will give me an opportunity to get some valuable schooling. The nicest part is that I'm now planning to be able to see you again and that's enough to make me want it badly. You don't know how hungry I am for a look at you again. It will also get me out of this Turkish bath down here and that is also something. Honey, if you can bring me that kind of luck just by sending me a $10.00 bill, keep it up.
I still think you were the best luck I ever had and now you send me a good luck $10.00 bill and look what happens. I love you honey, more and more. Maybe that "showing you" I speak of isn't so far away anymore. It sure looks a lot more promising than it has for a long time. Keep your fingers and your legs crossed and I'll do a little of that praying that the army doesn't change its mind this time. I'll sure be mad if they do. Well here's to seeing you soon honey and I'm loving you lots.
your hopeful hubby.
Norm
Honey.
P.S. I forgot. You can keep on sending mail to me here and it will be sent after me until I know my new address for sure, but don't send anything but letters.

No comments: