Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter # 59 july 14, 1943

July 14, 1943
1300 Wed Aft.
Hi Sweetness;
Boy! This sure does seem strange. Wed.aft. off just like when I was at home. I crawled in bed at 0515 this morning and slept like a log until 1200. Feel very well rested. First time I've had much sleep since Sat. night. They have closed the mechanics school so I may have most of the mornings off now. They say we covered all the material we were to have covered and did it in two weeks ahead of schedule.
Yesterday morning I went back to the carbine range and finished firing. I sure like to fire that one and got a good score. I hit 26 bull eyes out of 40 shots. Was second high in the company. We fire 8 shots from each of 5 positions, standing, squatting on heels, sitting, kneeling, and prone. On the prone and standing positions I got all bulls but on the others I'm not so good. Just can't seem to get used to those positions. The rest of the shots were all within 2" of the bull. Gave me a total score of 186 out of a possible 200. I think I'm pretty smart. I hadn't had any sleep to amount to anything either.
We are now starting on a big job at the motor pool. Giving 6000 mile checks to all the vehicles, that means tearing them down completely and replacing any worn parts, cleaning them all up and putting them back together. We now have about 50 vehicles in this company so I won't have to wonder what to do for a while.
Haven't had a bit of exercise so far this week except work. Have to watch out or I'll be getting soft again. I imagine they'll see to that.
Got your Friday letter saying you had gotten the pictures. I was very much surprised and pleased to hear you liked them. I suppose the camera doesn't lie, but I didn't think they were very good. Maybe I've changed more than I thought but I imagine the lack of glasses and getting thinner accounts for it. You said you didn't think it possible to change that much in 3 1/2 mo. Remember those pictures were taken about the middle of May. 1 1/2 months. Maybe you'll believe me when I say I feel as good as I ever have. I not only look 10 yrs. younger but am doing things I couldn't do when I was that young. I am flattered you old devil. I'll sure give you a working over when I get home.
As for the weight. The last time I weighed, about two weeks ago, I weighed 189, that is only a loss of 10 or 11 lbs. When the pictures were taken I guess I must have weighed about 180. I thought the scales in Lake Charles wrong but they may not have been. I have been gaining the last mo. or so. Gotten used to the army and climate maybe.
I hadn't intended to grin quite so broadly but couldn't help it. All the boys looking on and making remarks.
I was glad to hear you mention Mr. Rex and I have thought of writing to him several times but like some of the others I want to write to, I just don't seem to get it done. I also send him my best wishes.
Remember "Pop" Curtis? He took the first part of basic with us and then went to another company. I just learned today that he was discharged a couple weeks ago. High blood pressure. If the old ones keep dropping out I'll soon be the "pop" of the outfit. Leo, Rahill, Max and I are the only ones left over 28 in this company. The average age of this outfit is 19 yrs 5 1/2 mo according to official figures.
Well honey I'm running down so I'll quit and do a little work on my equipment and look at Esquire. Just got the Aug. issue. Nice looking girl there. Reminds me of you in places. Makes my hands itch. I love you honey and am just as anxious to see you as you are to see me. It'll happen sometime and we'll sure have a good time. Have a lot to do and talk about won't we? Bye, Bye, honey. I'm loving you more and more.
your hubby,
Norm

No comments: