Sunday, July 4, 2010

Letter # 53 July 4, 1943

July 4, 1943
Sun eve. 1800
Hi Sweetness;
Fourth of July again. Boy the years sure roll around. Remember 1937, 6 years ago, Know where we were? Up at Put-in-Bay with Gus and Vi. We drank wine and champagne and I had a suitcase full of fireworks. You went for your first ride on a tandem bicycle and ran us in the ditch when I tried to kiss you. That 4th was when I first knew I was in love with you. But I didn't get around to telling you until the first of August. It was the night before I left on my vacation with Tinstman. You didn't even give me a good kiss when I told you, just grunted and went back to sleep. You devil. But you made up for it when I came back. Really a nice welcome and I'm expecting a nicer one when I come back this time. I'm glad I got you honey and love you a lot more than I did at that time. 6 years ago already. Doesn't seem nearly that long as I look back on it. It already seems as long since I've seen you this time but I sure haven't forgotten. I expect after this is all over and we look back at it, it won't seem so long either, but it does now.
The first 4th since 1937 that we haven't been together and also an anniversary. I found out I loved you. I don't know what to call the anniversary but I think I will always remember it and it is associated with " The Merry-go-round" Broke Down" Gee honey! but I love you.
I spent a very nice quiet Fourth. I'll tell you about it.
Got up at 0630, had breakfast of pancakes and cereal, took my platoon over to regimental headquarters for police up, washed my fatigues, and started to make notes for the class I'm to teach. About 1030 I was working away at that and one of the boys that sleeps by the stairs yelled, "Hey corporal, a man to see you." I looked around and really got a surprise. Remember "Shorty" Bishop? Little fellow from Mallet Creek that painted for Harry Pearson. Well there he stood. I didn't even know he was down here. He went to the army 14 months ago. Spent 6 months at Fort Knox, 4 mo at Camp Campbell and has been here since the first of March. He had heard I was here and looked me up. We sat on my bunk and talked until noon about this and that and the army, people we knew at home, what we were doing and you even entered the conversation. He couldn't place who you were until I showed him your picture and then he told me I had a nice wife and I said I knew damn well I had a nice wife. I have too.
Shorty is a P.F.C. and works in the officer's mess. Waits on General
Grime's table, who is the commander of the 8th Division. He hears quite a little and he said the rumor about Pine Camp was true enough at the time but is out now. The story now is that we will be here until maneuvers and may even have them here.
He lives down near Henry Bernhardt and had seen him a couple times so we made a date to meet at his barracks at 1330 and then we would see if we could find Henry.
We got to Henry's barracks and the boys said he was at the motor park pumping gas, so we walked over. Got part way there and met him coming back. He recognized Shorty but had to take a second look at me. We sure were glad to see each other. He looks swell but has lost a lot of weight. He says about 25 lbs.
He was done working so the three of us went to the P.X. and drank pop and had another bull session. {They don't sell beer until Sunday night} or we might have celebrated. We did celebrate on Pop and talk.
Henry is in the gasoline and lubrication section of his company so he is back at his old job. He doesn't like the army or anything about it but I don't think it is all the army. He is absolutely lost. Taken away from his business and divorced from his wife and from what he says I think that is bothering him more than anything else. He really is cut loose from everything and I can easily realize how he feels. I'd be worse than that if I lost my wife. The more I see of the breaks some people get in marriage the more I realize how lucky I am. I've got a nice, sweet, gorgeous, faithful, loving wife at home waiting for the day I come back and that sure makes a difference. I love you honey, and appreciate you more all the time. How I ever happened to get you I don't know, but I'm glad I did.
Henry just doesn't have anything set up to look forward to after the war, doesn't even know what he will do.
I know what I'll do. I'll make a beeline for home and take up loving you where I left off on March 29, 1943. Wish I could write that date here. I am ready and willing for that date to get here at any time.
Well honey I'll quit for this time. I love you sweetness and hope you had a nice Fourth. Probably by the time you get this you will be a woman of leisure again. Just remember what I told you and take a rest. I love you honey.
Your hubby
Norm
P.S. How about my surprise?
Isn't it nearly time?

No comments: