Saturday, July 17, 2010

Letter # 62 July 17, 1943

July 17, 1943
Sat 1300
My darling wife;
Well honey another week done and gone and another week closer to that time when we can start living again. Boy I can hardly wait. It sure is a goal worth looking forward to and it can't come too soon to suit me. I miss my nice old wife and happy home a lot. I'll sure be hard to pry away from either after this is over. The boys that don't get married don't know what they are missing. I love my old honey.
We aren't going to be on duty after all this weekend. When I came off shift this morning I was done until Monday morning. I slept until noon and now I'll do a little writing and probably just be lazy the rest of the time. I may take a notion to go to the show this evening. I haven't seen one since Decoration Day and I think maybe I would enjoy one.
The boys all worked like hell the last few days and nearly everything is "on the ball" so they turned the outfit loose at noon today. Boy you should have seen this place empty out. They worked last weekend and sure didn't waste any time taking off for town. Practically by myself and it is real quiet and peaceful. It is real hot again today, probably around 108 or 110 but I can't help but admire the sky. As I've said before there is something about this country I like. The sky's are nearly always beautiful, in daytime as well as at night. I hadn't realized until this week how the natives stand to live in this climate, but I think I have the answer now. During the middle of the day they just don't do anything and if you find a shady spot in the breeze the heat doesn't bother very much. There is nearly always a breeze. I was really surprised at how little the heat bothered me this week. The nights are swell to work and laying around in the daytime has been very comfortable. Maybe if I live here long enough I would become a southerner after all.
Sgt. Marinics, one of our mechanic sergeants, just came back from furlough last eve. He lives in Cambridge, Ohio. Said he sure had a swell time and Ohio never looked better to him. He spent most of his time in Akron. He made good time on the way home. Left here Sat at 1400 and got to Columbus at 2200 Sunday, but on the way back he left 1800 Wed and got in at 1900 Friday night and said he sat and slept in the aisle all the way. The older men in service I mean, have been all getting furloughs, but I don't hear anything about us yet.
Train fare round trip, less eats is $23.00 Alexandria to Columbus. Not so bad is it. That is the special soldier rate.
For gosh sakes honey don't worry about wasted vacation days. That's what they are for. Waste them and have yourself a time and a rest.
Glad to hear the old car is still holding together. I guess for all you will be able to drive, it will last you the duration.
I guess Vi must have thought the letter not fit to send. Anyhow, I haven't seen anything of it. I can imagine just about what it would be like.
I can also imagine the scene with the McFaddens, everybody making themselves at home, reading magazines or whatever they wanted to do. I guess that is what makes them such nice company. Just nice people.
Well honey I guess I can't think of much more to write so I'll quit until the next time. I love you, you nice sweet, exciting old thing. I'll be seeing you.
Your hubby
Norm

No comments: