Sunday, July 18, 2010

Letter #63 July 18, 1943

July 18, 1943
1400 Sun. Aft.
Hello Sweetheart;
Well I sure have been having a lazy weekend and enjoying myself along with it. Last night I went to the show. It was "Stage Door Canteen" and was very good. The soldiers in it were wearing the 5th Armored insignia. Maybe in a few more mo. I'll be in the same spot. Just ready to cross the water. I don't know if you've seen it or not but you won't have to worry about me looking for a wife there as some of the boys were doing. I've already got me the best little wife in the country and I love her like hell.
This morning I washed my leggings and fatigues and then decided to rip off a few division insignias that I had hurried too much when I put them on and sewed them back on. They now look a little more like a professional job. A little I said. I still need a secretary that can do a little sewing also. These jobs kept me out of mischief until dinner.
They just called us out and informed us that the new division swimming pool is ready and our regiment can use it from 1430 to 1600 so I'm taking off. Will write more when I come back.
Boy honey was that fun. Had more fun this afternoon than I had since I came to the army. That water sure felt swell. We have a fairly nice pool, about the size of our whole front yard and it is 12 ft deep out in the center. The bath house isn't finished yet and the grading isn't all done but I don't care about that, it swims good. I don't know how often we'll be able to use it but I bet I'm there when we can. I got the beginning of a suntan also. Honey you should see me in a bathing suit now. Straight as an arrow. I think I'm a very nice looking man now. The suit still fits but it is plenty loose about the belly.
I got interrupted here for a couple hours. Sgt. Brown, my boss, came up here and sat down on my bunk and we shot the shit. He is from the big timber country in California. About 30 yrs old and single. He has worked in the timber, on construction jobs and on ranches. Very interesting to talk to. I had often wondered why he was still single because he is a swell guy and tonight it came out. He was to be married when he was 24. Had the house all bought and he was away on a construction job for a couple mo. When he came back she was married. He hasn't been interested in women since except for what he can get.
I'm sure glad I got me a swell wife. If they turn out the other way I guess they can raise hell with a man's life. Since we've been separated I can sure see how it might be. I appreciate and love you more all the time. Lucky me. Bye honey. I love you.
Norm.

No comments: