Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Letter # 65 July 20, 1943

July 20, 1943
1900 Tues. Eve.
Hello Sweetheart;
Another day and another letter from my nice wife. You sure are a nice person to get letters from. I stand every mail call and I haven't left empty handed very often. It must be quite a chore for you. I'm more trouble to you being away than I would be if I were home. It's very nice though to be able to look forward to the end of this war and know I have a nice wife waiting for me. I love you honey and you can just bet I miss you more than a little.
I guess they have decided to quit the night shift at least for the present. That is what the first Sargent said this morning. Of course he said "you know the army" They may change their minds again tomorrow.
I was working all day on a tank. Overhaul on the engines. They are bitches to work on. Need a can opener or a charge of dynamite to open them up so you can get anywhere near the engines. I stood on my head and worked in all sorts of cramped positions all day. Got a good workout. It was really hot today. I don't know how hot, but I believe it was the hottest yet. It looks like rain tonight.
We couldn't go swimming tonight so I just took a shower and am sitting here taking it easy as I write to my old sweetheart.
Max went to the hospital yesterday for a hemorrhoid operation. I don't know how long that takes but I guess they are painful as hell. Glad I don't seem to have anything wrong with me. There are some nice nurses at the hospital they tell me but I'd sooner be well and not see them. If you were a nurse there I'd try to have something wrong very often. I'd like to have you for a nurse. If I wasn't too sick maybe I could get a little fresh once in a while.
Your comment about Bob Indoe sounded a bit green eyed to me. I don't blame him for taking all he can get, but I don't see how he does it.
Has Thurston ever had more than the emergency furlough when his baby was born? Some fellows just seem to be lucky or know how. I wish I did. I wouldn't mind coming to see you every month or so either.
Honey, I believe you are also changing. I can't imagine you offering to do someone else's work. I bet Jean was surprised. Hope it's nothing serious with her.
Well honey this letter just doesn't seem to click so I'm disgusted and going to quit for tonight. I love you honey and you were very hard to make but I'm a persistent cuss so watch out. Night honey. I'm loving you as much as ever even if I can't seem to write tonight.
Night Tootsie Wuggles.
Norm.

No comments: