Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Letter #58 July 12, 1943

July 12, 1943
Monday, eve
My darling wife;
How's my honey this evening and how does it seem to be a lady of leisure again.
I'm as good at going without sleep as you. I tried to sleep Sunday afternoon but there were too many running around the barracks and I wasn't sleepy so I didn't get much sleeping done. I went on duty at 1900 and we quit at 0500, came back to the company for breakfast and then I had to go the the range to fire the carbine. They are trying to finish basic up and it was more important I fire the carbine than go to school. We weren't there very long until it started to rain like hell and kept it up. We finally came back to the company. Couldn't see to shoot. I had fired 8 shots and scored 7 bull eyes at 150 yards. The other shot was about an inch from the bull. I will go out again tomorrow morning and try again.
It was about 1030 when I finally got to bed. 0530 Sun morning to 1030 Monday morn without sleep and I really wasn't sleepy or tired anymore. I had been, along the early hours of the morning. I went to sleep until dinner, ate and went back to sleep until 1600, got up, had supper and then instead of going to work they put me on C.Q. I'll be able to sleep a few hours again tonight and then I may have to put in another 24 hour stretch without sleep. I hope not. I can take quite a little but I don't think I can last that way very long.
I feel swell tonight and raring to go. It was cool because of the rain and I slept like a log and I'll get 4 or 5 hours more tonight so I'll be caught up for this time.
Don't be thinking I have changed so much. Henry didn't recognize me. He just wasn't expecting to see me and these uniforms do change a man's looks somewhat.
As for you being a lady, I don't believe I ever did call you that. You're just my darling wife and the way I want you. I don't think I would want a lady for a wife. Don't think she would be any fun. You're just damn nice and I love you.
It isn't that I am trying not to talk to the opposite sex. It is just that I don't have the opportunity. Don't ever get the idea that I'm so straight laced I wouldn't even talk to another woman, because I would, but I am and you can also be definitely sure I will never have any affairs with any as long as I have my own nice, sweet wife. As I've said before I used to think I might if given the proper opportunity, but I was kidding myself. If I was ever to have the opportunity and desire it would surely be now, but it doesn't interest me at all. You sure have me roped you old devil. Don't start thinking I'm getting old and loosing my virility because I'm not. At least the old indicator doesn't say I am and I think I'll prove it when I come home again. Be just like when I was a new groom or better.
I've been interrupted so often as I write don't be surprised at what you may read here. I wrote bride instead of groom and almost didn't see the mistake.
I don't quite agree with your mother calling you grouchy. I would say, just not inclined to be sociable, especially at breakfast. I don't believe I could ever have called you grouchy and if you were a little, it probably was partly my fault because I was the one that was grouchy.
It tickles me to hear you say I could keep you pacified. Never knew I did that.
I don't mean to blow about being tough. I'm just telling you facts. It is a tough life here in this outfit and a man either becomes tough or goes on limited service and to date I haven't done that. As soon as you think you have had about everything they think of something new.
It gives me a lot of satisfaction to know you use a dictionary to be sure of some of your spelling. I don't have access to one and have to guess. Hope I come near enough so you know what I mean.
I may have been the one to run us in the ditch but I still say you just grunted and went back to sleep when I told you I loved you. I will try you again and if you act the same I may change my mind about those affairs with other women.
You're not the only one who would like to have you see me and love me. I'm just as anxious as you are. I can't understand how any man could voluntarily want to be away from his wife. He surely must not love her or want or need her like I do you.
That last paragraph in your Thurs. letter did sound a little like you were "pussed".
That word is even a new one to me.
The statement about keeping your legs crossed. If that was just to assure me that you were being faithful, it was unnecessary. I never even gave that angle a thought. I just knew you would be. I pity any other man that might try to make you. I can still remember how long and how hard I worked before I succeeded and I had asked you to be my wife and you knew I meant it.
Well honey, I just don't find time to keep up my correspondence. They seem to think I am on unlimited service. I haven't written to Mom & Hazel for a couple weeks but will as soon as I find time. Maybe you'll be sweet enough to be my messenger and keep them informed when you see them. That goes for all the rest also. I still think I need that red headed secretary.
You can be the judge of how much of my letters you want to tell them of. I imagine there are a few parts you would rather not say too much about. This is the only way I can talk to you so I'm going to say what I want to.
Night honey baby, have a good time and keep your legs crossed and maybe that furlough will develop sometime. I love you and love you and love you.
The man who misses you.
Norm.

No comments: