Sunday, July 4, 2010

Letter # 52 July3, 1943

July 3, 1943
1700 Sat eve.
Hello Sweetie
I finally got the pictures I had taken so long ago. After waiting all this time they should have been good but they are terrible. I know they can't make something out of nothing but they at least ought to be clear. I look like I hadn't shaved for a month or had a bad case of scabs or something. I was rather disgusted so I just shoved them back in the envelope and took off for the post office. You will probably get them about as quick as you get this letter. Maybe you will want to tear them up when you see them. Do as you please. I'm sorry they aren't better honey. I guess you'll just have to wait until I come home to see how I look. My pictures weren't as bad as some and weren't as good as others. They were really a lousy bunch of pictures. Some of the boys just tore them up. Wouldn't even send them home. We didn't have a chance to see any proofs and we had to take them good or not. I can assure you I am not nearly the worse for wear as the pictures indicate.
I'm still feeling perfect and I am gaining some weight in spite of the work and the heat. Don't get excited it's only a couple pounds, so I'm still a way from where I was when I came in. A little contented living and loving with you and some of your cooking and in between snacks will soon put it all back again. I'll have to be careful though. I think I like me better this way. Not skinny but just in good shape and full of vitality. Whoops. Not drunk either, just feeling good. Wish I was with you. We'd have fun.
I spent the whole week in the garage and enjoyed it a lot. I guess I will be with the company a few days this week. I see the part of the schedule posted says I go on the range Tuesday to go through an actual gas attack with the real stuff. Mustard gas. I don't know anything about the rest of the week.
I met Max's wife the other night. She came out to camp for the evening. She is real nice and I enjoyed talking to her. The first female I have had a conversation with since I left you. I thought maybe I had forgotten how to talk to a lady but I hadn't. She is suffering from the heat and doesn't care for Leesville at all. She says she would sooner be here in camp than in town. She is going home Monday.
The C.O. called all the acting corporals in the other night and we thought we were in for some "chewing" as they call it in army, but all he said was we weren't forcing our authority enough and if we had any trouble with the men to report it. The army is behind us but I don't like to be tough. I can give the orders but if the men don't respond I don't like to cuss them out like these Sargent's do, but I guess I can if I have to. I don't have much trouble but in any bunch of men there are always a few ornery goldbricks. I am the only one in charge of this floor of the barracks and that gives me 32 men to keep on the ball. See that the barracks and latrine are properly cleaned and scrubbed and they keep their clothes and lockers in shape and etc. There are only about five men I have any trouble with and I'm going to get cooperation out of them or put them on K.P. a few times and see if that helps.
While we were there the C.O. assigned each of us a subject and we are to teach a class on it sometime this week. My subject is maintenance of motor vehicles so it won't be so hard but I don't know what kind of teacher I'll make.
They "broke" another acting corporal again today. The explanation is inefficiency. I don't know just what it means but I think it is for too much fooling around and not taking charge of his details. They watch every move we new men make. We're really behind the eight ball but so far I've kept one jump ahead of them.
The before breakfast road march wasn't so bad. I had them right down my alley. Just a good fast walk on hard surface road and early in the morning before it was too hot. It even rained a little to help keep us cooled off.
The first orders were the maintenance crew didn't have to go, because we work all day but then they changed the orders and no one was excused.
We took off at 0500 and were back at 0640. Covered a little over 8 miles so you can see it was rather a good pace. That kind of walking is easy for me. I can stretch out and take a normal step. The trouble with most of this marching is they hold us to a 30" step and it cramps my style. When they make the pace fast enough so I can stretch out it is easier.
I guess they must have given us all they had on the books in the way of physical training anyhow they haven't pulled anything new on us for the past week or so.
Well Honey I guess that's about all the news I can think of at present.
I think I would enjoy having coffee on the floor in front of the fireplace with you. It just doesn't seem possible it could be cool enough anywhere in the world to have fire for warming the body. We sure don't need it here. Well goodbye for now sweetheart. I love you and am thinking of you. Happy 4th of July to my grand little wife.
Lovingly,
Norm.

No comments: