Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Letter #54 July 6, 1943

July 6, 1943
Tues, eve, 2200
Hi Tootsie Wuggles;
Well honey I finally got my G.I. glasses. Two pairs of them so now I'm well supplied. Probably won't have to bother you about them anymore. Even if I do break them once in a while, three pair ought to last while one of them is being fixed. These G.I.'s won't break very easy from the looks of them. The frames are chrome plated steel and they sure are solid. I think they look fairly good and are apparently the same as the old ones except the lenses are clear. I'll put the old ones to rest now.
Yesterday was just a regular day at the motor park, but last eve. all the special service men, and that means me, had to go out and join the company on bivouac. We now have an new bivouac area, the old one was getting pretty well cut up, and none of us had ever been at the new one. Needless to say, we got lost again for a while. I have never been in a country so devoid of landmarks. One area looks like the other until you know it well enough to call the trees by name.
Sargent Brown, that's my motor Sargent, decided he would come out on a motorcycle after us. Well we were lost for about an hour and he didn't get there until an hour or so after we did, and he left the camp just a few minutes after we did. He came sliding down the sandy road all covered with dust and sweat and a broad grin on his face. When we asked if he had gotten lost he said, "No I just couldn't find where I was going." I guess he had a hell of a time. The roads are 4" deep with sandy dust and almost impossible to ride a motorcycle on. Ask Gus.
He knew somewhere near where we should be and when he couldn't find us he just took off across country, going back and forth until he found us. It's unbelievable the country some of these fellows can ride a "bike" over. Just about anywhere a man can walk as long as the footing is solid.
Sg. Brown is a former California lumberjack from the upper part of the Sacramento River and usually rather quiet, but get him telling stories and he is really good, Humorous. He kept us entertained for half an hour just telling about his ride out last evening.
Leo and I slept together and did very well. No mosquito or chigger bites.
This morning we went through the gas area. Mustard gas is not a gas as the name implies, but an oily liquid, which, if gotten on the skin, forms terrible burns and blisters. It is only dangerous to the lungs in very high concentration and for just a short time while it is floating in mist form in the air after the explosion. It sure as hell has a stink. Just like a lot of freshly ground garlic.
After we went through the area we had to decontaminate our shoes and leggings with lime. That neutralizes it so it is harmless. There was none in the air and we didn't even wear our masks. We were just to get used to the smell so we can recognize it. There are several kinds of gases and all have different odors and affect the body in different ways. We are trained to identify them and know what is to be done to neutralize the affect.
Tomorrow afternoon we have our first initiation under fire. We go over the infiltration course. It is an area about 150 yards long with trenches, simulated shell holes, and barb entanglements that we crawl through on our bellies with real machine gun fire only 3 ft above us and land mines exploding around as we advance. You've seen pictures in the papers of similar courses. It'll sure be an adventure, at least a very new experience. I'll write a description next time. Don't go worrying about it. There hasn't been a man hurt out of two divisions that have already gone over it.
You mention the food. It is still good and I'm thriving on it.
Getting my hair cut often doesn't seem to help the growth much, at least not on top. It won't be long and you'll have a bald headed old man for a husband.
Don't worry about me needing anything. If I do and can't get it myself I'll holler for good old Babe.
Leave room for one more in that 4th grade class of truck drivers. I want a seat right by teacher's desk where I can see her good.
You will have to teach me to play cards all over again. I have nearly forgotten what they look like. Haven't even touched a card since I left. Well honey we had another practice blackout and it's now bedtime. I'll write again soon. Well night honey. I'm loving you.
Your hubby
Norm

No comments: