Saturday, July 10, 2010

Letter #56 July 10, 1943

July 10, 1943
Sat eve 1900
Hello Dearest;
Well honey I guess I talked too soon about them slowing up on our training. Sure had a full week this week and not done yet. We worked until 1600 today and tomorrow is also a regular day. First Sunday since we've been here that the whole company is on duty. We may get off a little early in the afternoon if everything goes O.K.
I wrote you of the events up to Wed. Thurs. morning we rolled out at 0400 and spent all day on the firing range. 45 Cal. automatic pistol in the morning and 45 Cal.Tommy Gun in the afternoon. I did very well on both so I didn't have to clean guns that night. I got a 110 out of a possible 125 and was second in the company. 111 was high. With the Tommy Gun I got 49 out of 55, so I am very well satisfied. The Tommy Gun is just a smaller version of the machine gun. It is similar in looks to an ordinary rifle, but is heavier and capable of firing 600-700 shots a minute. The 45 Cal automatic pistol is a new weapon to this outfit. The one I fired before was the 45 Cal revolver, and it is really a swell gun. A lot easier to handle than the revolver. I believe you could even shoot this one, but the old one would jar your bubbles off. That would never do. I wouldn't have any playthings. I'm sure going to enjoy having my playthings back again.
Friday we rolled out at 0400 again and went on another fast, before breakfast, march. 5 1/2 miles in 58 minutes with the inevitable full packs. Got back, had breakfast and went to school until noon.
At noon the first Sargent put me on a carpenter detail. Had to build some broom and mop racks. After supper we went to work at the motor park until 2300.
Sat. morning up again at 0400 and another fast march after breakfast. 6 miles in 62 min. You thought I used to walk fast, you ought to be along on one of these marches. We walk about 10 minutes and double time three and so on. Good thing we are in shape. They are plenty tough. My feet are a little sore on the bottom tonight but otherwise they don't bother me.
They have been taking all the technical and special service men along on these hikes. They haven't had any physical training for several mo. and it damn near kills them. Had a truck along to pick them up as they fell out.
Worked all the rest of the day at the motor park and will be there all day tomorrow. I won't have to work very hard. They are teaching all the men the first principles of maintaining their respective vehicles, greasing, changing oil, and simple mechanical jobs. We mechanics are to be instructors and supervisors, so I'll just be telling someone else how and what to do. Imagine that.
I only have two more weeks of school and then I may know something about what I'll be doing. That is also supposed to be the end of second period of basic, if they don't change it again. So far I have come out O.K. in school. We have been having a test every day and I have a perfect 100% average. Don't you think I'd make a good candidate for that 4th grade class. I don't know how well I'd behave though. I'm afraid I'd want to be teacher's pet or rather pet the teacher. I'm also afraid I wouldn't be able to keep my mind on the lessons enough to be even a fair pupil. I'd do something to be kept after school so I could be alone with the teacher. After school I'd be an excellent pupil. Remember how quick you taught me before. I think you're a swell teacher and I sure am anxious to start taking lessons from you again. I promise to study hard and learn swiftly. Do I get a seat in your class? Or should I start looking for another school. Maybe I could find a red headed teacher. Right now I'd prefer a nice, big, curvaceous, exciting, sweet and loving teacher, about 5'8" tall, weighing about 170 lbs, with a sweet, pretty face, nice white teeth, soft red lips, green eyes and dark hair swept up on top of her head. Makes a very pretty picture, but I know just where to find the model and I think she would consent to be my teacher. Do you know who I mean? My description isn't nearly as good as the model so you may not recognize it as a description of you, but it is. I forgot for a minute that your hair is different now but that doesn't make a bit of difference. I sure would like to have that model in my arms again. I love you honey.
I haven't any more information on the furlough, so as I've said, don't dream too much.
By this time you probably have the pictures of me and can see how hard I look but don't worry, I'm not half that much the worse for wear. I'm still the same old man less 4" of waistline, but feeling swell.
I took one pair of suntans to the tailor tonight and I now have a small 34" waist. I'll take the other pair as soon as I can spare them.
You're a devil. Just couldn't keep the surprise you had for me any longer. I also hope they are good. I'll enjoy a look at my sweet wife in our little home. You're thoughtful.
That electric bill sounds plenty high but it may be they undercharged you before. I shouldn't think it would be more than $4.00.
Happy vacation darling. Now don't be silly and try to do too much around the place. Take a rest and enjoy yourself. You've earned it.
The kids are sure being swell to you, but how could they help it. You're so nice. Wish I had the job of entertaining you. I envy them.
Well honey, I'll write again as soon as I have a chance. I have some others I should write but can't now.
Good night sweetie. I'll see you in my dreams.
your hubby.
Norm

No comments: