Saturday, July 3, 2010

Letter # 51 July 1, 1943

July 1, 1943
2000 Thurs. Eve.
My darling wife;
Well honey another month gone by and another month closer to the time when I can come home to live with you again. That will sure be a great day. I think now that I have found out how much I love you and miss you I will be more appreciative. If I'm not send me back to the army. You're just the sweetest old thing. I could eat you up, anyhow do a little chewing. You say there is too much of you to confine in a tight sweater, well don't worry I'll take care of confining you when I get home. I always did like to look at you best when you were bare. Remember how I liked to pick at you while you were undressing. I may have changed in appearance, as you say , but I'll bet I haven't changed in that respect. If I have changed any it'll be for the worse. I'll love you to pieces.
Don't worry about your letters being short. I won't care what they say as long as I hear from you. As I've said before you are doing a damn good job of letter writing, a lot better than I and I'm more than satisfied with them. Most anything you do is satisfactory with me honey. I love you too much to find much fault.
I wouldn't worry about sleeping in the basement. The dampness from there won't hurt you any. I imagine it is rather hot sleeping in the daytime. I am sure glad you are almost done with that job and can go back to regular hours again.
Here are the answers to some of your questions. We get some ice cream but it sure doesn't compare to what we used to make.
I have seen a few copies of "Yank" but we don't get it regularly.
I couldn't have recognized myself in the picture if I hadn't known where I stood in ranks.
I haven't gotten the G.I. glasses yet but I expect to soon. The fellows that have them look good in them. They have chrome rims instead of gold and are round lenses.
As for the note about John, I always did say he wasn't much help didn't I? I can't see how Steve and Harold would miss it.
About McFadden's pump. I don't understand either. It should have fit. Either the casing wasn't standard size or it had a bend in it, or they weren't putting it in right.
I sure do feel sorry for Tony. I don't think he will ever be able to stand active duty and he will probably be kicked around a lot before he either gets a discharge or a limited service job.
I'm glad you had your finger in the cake. I ate the last piece tonight. Boy was it good.
Wish I could take that shower with you.
I haven't heard from Bub & Betty for quite a while. I can't remember if I answered their last letter or not. Maybe that is the reason.
I am sorry about your not getting a letter for so long. I don't understand either. I wrote one on Sunday, one on Wed and then again on the weekend. I sure never intended you to be without a letter that long.
The storm was just a hell of a heavy rain after all, and I mean a hell of a heavy one.
Tomorrow is payday again so you will soon have another check to meet the insurance with. I still have plenty. $35.00 in my pocket and payday tomorrow so I'll have about $54.00 when I get it. I can just make ends meet nicely with that $19.00 and have everything I want. Of course that is with the exception of you. There isn't enough money in the world to pay what you are worth to me.
Well honey it's time to go to bed. We roll out at 4:30 and go for an 8 mile hike before breakfast so I guess I better get my sleep. I'll write you a nice letter over the weekend. Bye now honey. I love you.
your loving soldier.
Norm.

No comments: