Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter # 60 July 15, 1943

July 15, 1943
Thurs. 0930
Hello darling;
I slept until just now and don't seem to be at all sleepy anymore so I thought I'd write you a note. I'm getting along O.K. on this night shift business. Get a little sleepy along about 3-4 in the morning but it soon passes. Sure is swell to work. It cools off so nice at night I hardly even sweat and I haven't been troubled by the heat, sleeping in the daytime. I'll probably get sleepy after awhile and sleep all afternoon. Doesn't sound much like me but down here I don't have anything to fuss around with so I just sleep.
Glad you are through at the diner and are already having parties. Go to it honey. I don't suppose you'll get this letter soon enough, but if Mick & Louise want you to go on a trip with them why don't you. It'll do you good.
I'm sorry to hear Mick will have to leave so soon. Apparently he will have to take regular army training first and later go on to school. Well I guess he can do it. After all it's only 5 more mo until the first of the year. Give him my best wishes and tell him to write after he lands someplace.
You should see me now. The whole division has been ordered to get G.I. haircuts. If you thought the one I had when I came to the army was short you should see this one. About 1/2" long at the longest place, sides clipped high and even the fuzz on top cut off. Sure won't need a comb anymore. Some of the boys that had nice heads of hair are sure bitching. I didn't care. I couldn't loose much anyhow.
I have had and will continue to have everything crossed and might even go so far as to pray a little that I can see you soon. Surely would love to see my old woman more than anything in the world. I think of you almost constantly and love you more and more. You're such a nice thing to have around, I can't imagine how I got along all those years without you. Guess I just didn't know what I was missing. I do now and I think I will always remember.
I wish I could fire that sleeping alone business for you. I love you honey.
I'm beginning to feel a little sleepy so I guess I'll catch a couple more hours. I'll write as often as I can. I like to. It's somewhat like having a talk with you. Take care of your sweet little old self honey and don't pass up any opportunities to have yourself a good time. At this time of year there is no reason why you can't leave the place indefinitely if you want. Have yourself a time honey. Someday I'll be home and put you to work again. I love you honey.
your soldier
Norm.

No comments: