Thursday, July 22, 2010

Letter # 67 July 22, 1943

July 22, 1943
Thurs 1400
Hello Miss Independence;
I've been keeping my fingers crossed for quite some time. I was afraid you were going to decide to come down here before you went to school this fall. I can't stop you from coming and wouldn't if I could but I am still against it. I have talked to all the fellows I knew that had their wives down here and none of them have liked it at all. One of the clerks in the garage had his wife here since a week ago Sunday. She left for home today. She had originally intended to stay until he got a furlough and they were going back together. She just couldn't stand the heat and living conditions. He said the only good meals she got were the ones they ate here at the Service Club [on the post]. Now that I am back on night shift it would turn your hours all around again. All in all I don't think it would be very satisfactory for you.
Sure, I'm thinking of you and not so much of myself. If I were only thinking of myself I would have had you here all the time. I don't think the satisfaction to me would be worth the hardship to you.
Don't worry about my being sent before I get a chance to come home. There is no indication that this outfit will go overseas for a long time. I'm beginning to believe this is an experimental outfit and will be broken up. The chances are very slim of me getting home before school but I'm sure I'll get there. As you said before you can always get someone to take your place for a week or two. Under the conditions they would be glad to let you off and that would take care of the very slim chance of my being shipped without a leave. Beside all this honey it would bring on another period of loneliness for both of us, [like at first] and not be satisfactory enough to either of us to be worth it. When I see you I would much rather be on leave and not have army mixed up with us.
All this is just as I see one side of it. You are still perfectly free to do as you please. You can bet I want to see you as much if not more than you want to see me but I just can't see all the trouble to you.
Talk it over with your Mom and Pop and read them what I have to say. I've kept this much of the letter so you could. If you still decide to come down let me know a week or so ahead and I'll see what I can do for living accommodations. Above all don't forget to bring an alarm clock or I would probably oversleep and be A.W.O.L. If I were you I would wait until the last part of August. Something may happen by then.
In case you get the wrong impression from this letter, I'm leaving it up to you from here on and whatever you decide will be swell with me. I won't be mad if you come and I won't be disappointed if you don't. I just love you a hell of a lot and would be glad to see you anywhere. That is enough on that subject.
What was the idea of the $10.00? Did you make a mistake and get it in the wrong envelope or was it just in hopes I might get a furlough and need it to get home? You're a sweet old devil and I love you lots. Always worrying that I might not have enough to get along on. Don't worry honey, the only things I want that I don't have money for, can't be bought with money. You know what I mean. You, and a normal home life again. Thanks anyhow, I'll be able to use it for something.
Well honey I've got to try and get some sleep so I can stay awake all night. I love you more and more. You're a swell person to have for a wife. Bye honey, you're the apple of my eye.
Your loving husband
Norm

No comments: