Saturday, May 21, 2011

Letter # 368 May 15, 1944

West coast
Monday
May 15,1944
Darling Babe;
No mail again today.  I rather thought when I got the first two they would continue to come.  They probably aren't forwarding them as they come in.  I hope you are getting these that I am writing.  I've written every day since Friday.  Let me know how they come through.  I'm curious about how much they hold them up, censoring them. 
I haven't yet had a chance to get out of camp.  I broke my watch crystal and I intend to get out long enough to have a new one put in, if I can.
We are having a picture of the entire company taken this afternoon.  I intend to buy one and the photo company will send it to you when they have the prints completed. 
I got interrupted.  I was writing this early in the afternoon and now it is evening.  Had mail call and believe it or not I got your two Wed letters with the new address.  The others you wrote will probably be coming along soon. 
Doesn't seem to take any longer than it did for your mail to get here.  Mine will probably be a little slower. 
You needn't worry, if there is even the very slimest chance of getting together, we'll do it.  I know how much you had planned and we both hoped to be together this summer.  I want it as much as you do.  It would be a swell trip for you too. 
I didn't hide anything in the packages.  It was only excess stuff that I couldn't take along. 
The family group picture was of Max Stanisbury.  The fellow from Wyoming.  I told you he had gone "over the hill".  Well he was gone for 25 days before they picked him up.  He is restricted for several months and fined 2/3 of his pay.  I haven't seen him but the boys say he is definitely going bad. 
You can send air mail for six cents but I don't believe it will do much good. 
I'm glad to hear that Marg is going to get her chance for foreign duty.  I know how much she was counting on it.  I don't wonder.  Isn't much use being in if you can't really get in it.  If I was single again, God forbid, I would be as excited as she is. 
The only trouble with seeing Steve is, I don't know where he is and I can't tell him where I am.  Could be in the same camp and never know it.
Gosh, honey, I'm missing you more and more all the time.  You're a very sweet, loving, and entirely satisfactory wife.  A lot too nice to go away and leave for more than a few hours at a time.  When this damn mess is cleaned up you're going to have a hard time even getting out of my sight.  I'll be a pest again. 
Night, sweetheart.  I love you so much.  I'll be dreaming about you.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: