Friday, May 20, 2011

Letter # 366 May 13, 1944

May 13, 1944
Sweetheart;
Your mail is catching up.  I got two today.  Thur & Sat morning ones.  Sure is good to hear from you.  Been almost a week since I've had a letter.  I expect that right now you are finding the mailbox empty every day also.  Even if letters are very unsatisfactory they sure help to fill in the empty place made by you not being with me.  Believe me that is a hell of a big empty place too.  I love you, sweetheart. 
Don't be too shocked at the size paper I'm using.  It's about the only size I can pack and carry very handily.  Anyhow I won't be writing as many words as I used to write.  Not from lack of time, we have plenty of that, but from lack of anything to say. 
Got myself a fairly good sunburn today by playing ball with my shirt off.  Gosh this climate is really swell.  Beautifully cool at night and not too hot during the day.  I sure wouldn't mind being around here for a while.  From what I have seen, I think the kid brother was rather hard to please.  Don't think I would be so anxious to get out as he was.  I've seen almost as much as he did too.  I guess he is a city boy at heart while I am a farmer and lover of the open spaces.  Also a lover of yours.  Believe it?  I'll prove it again someday.                 
For the first time since I've been in the army, we are really being very well fed.  It wouldn't take very long at this rate and I wouldn't be able to wear these 33 inch waist trousers any more.  I can see the old belly coming back already.
Baker, Mac, and I have a room to ourselves now.  Some class, Huh?
I'll start answering your letters now.  Not going to answer them all until tomorrow. 
I see Mickey is finally on his way.  I hope their plans for getting together work better than it looks like ours are going to.  Say hi to her for me.  Hope she continues to take it as well or else stays away from you.  It will probably be hard enough for you to keep your chin up without holding hers up also.  You will though.  You're a good soldier and I love you. 
I can see why Mick & Louise had a good time this winter.  It's a very pretty and interesting city.  We stopped there for an hour or so.
I guess I'll have to cut this short about here.  Only being able to use one side makes a bulky letter.
Bye sweetheart.  You're a very sweet wife and I love you so much.  No matter where I am or what I'm doing I'll always be loving you.  I love you.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: