Sunday, May 8, 2011

Letter # May 2, 1944

May 2, 1944
Tues. eve.
Tootsie Wuggles darling;
Gosh honey, this sure is different from army life as I have seen it most of the time.  Nothing to do!  This morning we were supposed to take a three mile road march for the purpose of breaking in our new pairs of shoes.  When we got up it was raining to beat hell and kept it up until after 9.  Instead of going out, rain or no rain, we sat around in the barracks, doing nothing.  Then when it stopped and we were ready to start out on the march, Brownie told me to go to the garage and cut a new stencil for the detail stenciling our boxes.  That's what I've been doing most of the time, the past few days.  I cut one stencil of three letters and one circle and that was all I did all morning. 
We make all our own stencils for addressing, numbering, and marking our boxes.  That has been my job ever since I've been with Brown.  Draw them out free hand and then cut them from heavy paper.  It's one of those tedious little jobs that no one else seems to want. 
This afternoon it was raining again so they told us to stay in the barracks all afternoon and get our clothes marked, chevrons sewed on and etc.  I only had a couple pair of stripes to put on and was then figuring on spending the afternoon reading.  I've got another western - you know what that means.  I had gotten one set of stripes on and I was drafted for another of my special jobs.  Had to build a couple wood boxes for the supply Sgt.  That carpenter job sure sticks by me wherever I go.  I didn't get my job done so I have a job for tomorrow anyhow.  I quit early and finished my sewing job anyhow.   Got my new clothes all on the ball.  I have most of them now with the exception of suntan trousers.  So far they all fit fairly good. 
We were told today that we would travel in fatigues.  I like that idea.  It's more comfortable than dressed up. 
Yesterday was payday and boy did the fellows go out and spend it.  In fact they have been giving a lot of passes and anyone that could find any money to borrow had borrowed it and spent it.  Even I loosened up and financed a few of them.  I was careful who I loaned to, but in spite of that, I loaned out over a hundred and thirty. I'll have to start charging interest and make a little on it.  I stood outside the office when we got paid and collected as they came out.  Got it all without a bit of trouble.
Well, as I started to say before, they all took out for town last night and almost all of them came back drunk as hell.  Even Brownie came in about midnight and he sure was going round and round.  He had bought a big new hunting knife and we woke the barracks throwing it at cockroaches.  He even got Percy.  That is a pet of Baker's that lives in a crack by our bed.  Don't know how he did it as drunk as he was, but he threw the knife and cut poor Percy in half.  He wasn't very well trained anyhow so we aren't mourning very much.  We usually had to dump him out of a shoe every morning. 
Gebby, Baker and I were about the only stay at homes in the barracks last night.  I can't see much fun in getting tight when mummy isn't with me.  I get as much fun out of watching you as I do from drinking.  Then when we get home, mummy is apt to be very nice loving.  No fun to get tight and go to bed alone. Nothing quite right without you honey.  I love you so much and miss you in everything I do. 
No letter today but I have your Friday one to answer, so here goes. 
You've got the right idea I guess.  I can't think of any better way to describe the uncertainty of things now, than to compare ourselves to puppets.  We sure as hell can't do anything by ourselves.  Someone pulls the strings and controls our movements entirely.  If they would only pull the strings so that you and I would be together.  Golly, honey, that would be fun!
I also noticed the piece in the Gazette about John going to be caretaker at the new hospital.  I knew he was itching again when I was home and wondered how long he would stay.  It leaves Harold in a spot alright, but I suppose that he will make out somehow.  At least this job ought to be something about John's speed.  Maybe he will be satisfied for a while.
I wonder if Mick wasn't sent out because of age?  Doesn't seem possible in a noncombat outfit.  Maybe he will be lucky and get a job at home.
It might have been a dirty trick for Baker to love and leave his red headed school teacher, but not any more so than me loving my school teacher and leaving her.  I did, didn't I?  She could probably pick up another soldier to help her out most any time, but you won't.  You'll just wait and want until I can come back again.  It's hell ain't it honey? 
You are not only soft underneath, you're soft all over.  Deliciously soft and warm and loving.  You may in the past year, have acquired a slightly hardened exterior, but you are the same swell girl I always knew.   I always was soft where you were concerned and probably always will be.  You didn't have any trouble finding the holes in my shell that had always protected me before.  You got in almost at once and you sure split the old shell wide open that 4th at Put-in-Bay.  Since then the door has been wide open for you.  In fact I was afraid it had been too wide open when you didn't act very thrilled when I asked you the question.  It was O.K. when I came back and it sure has been ever since.  I'm in love with you.  You're my wife.  Gosh, but I'm a lucky guy.  Got the nicest wife a man could ever have and she loves me!  Boy, honey, I'm glad I gotcha. 
I guess I'm going to waste some paper again tonight.  I can't think of anything to fill it up. 
Night, sweetheart.  I love you every minute of the day.  I'm missing you like hell too.  Bye, sweetheart. 
Your hubby
Norm.

No comments: