Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter # 362 May 4, 1944

May 4, 1944
Thurs. eve.
Sweetheart;
Another day of just fooling around.  I went to the shop this morning, cut a few stencils and that was all.  This afternoon I had another little carpenter job.  Built a small box to use as a mailbox on the train.  They say we can write and they will be posted on the way, but of course, they will be censored.  Won't be able to say anything about the places we are going through or anything like that there. 
We have been having our share of inclement weather all right.  It's been raining most of the time for the past few days.  All day today.  Not real hard but keeps at it steadily.  This must be a wet spring nearly all over the central part of the states.  The old Mississippi is really on a rampage, I guess. 
I've finally gotten almost all of my clothes, only a couple items that we won't be able to get until we get to the next camp or whatever.  I got it all marked and all stripes sewed on.  I'm on the ball. [ like always].
I got your Sunday letter today and being as how I don't have much to write, I'll answer it and call it a day.
I have an idea that John didn't say a word to Harold about applying for a new job.  I expect that job was given that way.  By application and picked by a committee.  John may not even have known it much before it was printed.  I knew when I was home he was thinking about quitting again.  I would think he would feel rather small, leaving now, for the second time right in the busy season.  The tension you speak of feeling in the store was probably the result of John drinking.  Harold wouldn't miss it and he wouldn't let it pass like Steve did.  I am curious about the details of the situation. 
I can imagine how Mick & Louise feel about the situation.  It's like waiting to be inducted or something all over again.  Be glad to have it happen and get it over with.  Sounds like he must be headed for the north someplace.  He got winter clothes and I got all summer ones with the exception of one set of wools.  We also kept our overcoats. 
Sounds like Tib may soon be a war widow also.  If they keep on there won't be anyone left at home but gals.  Boy, it would be a nice place for a good, healthy 4F.  He'd have all he could take care of.  Too damn bad I'm not at 4F. 
I have been telling you that we may have a chance to be together and I still believe it.  It looks very much like I would be wrong, but it is very unusual for an outfit to move directly to P.O.E. and go without some time between.  Anything can happen.  You can be sure that I will wire you the minute I know anything at all.  We may not have any liberty at all and then again, we may have weeks or months.  I will let you know even if we only have a few days and you can get there in time.  I want to see you as bad as you want to see me.
You better keep telling me you love me, even if it isn't news.  No matter how many times I hear it, I like it as much as ever.  Feels good to know my wife wants me and tells me about it.  I'll never be tired of having you love me and never get tired of loving you.  If you don't believe it, just stop and think.  Have I ever shown any signs of not wanting to love you?  I can't remember any.  We may be getting to be "old married people", nearly 4 years now, but I love you more now than I did when we were married.  I didn't know then but what I might get tired of you or you of me.  I know for certain now.  We'll never get tired of each other.  It's swell to be married and have a loving, faithful wife.  I loves my wifey.  I'm glad I gotcha!
Night sweetheart.  I'm hoping, praying, and keeping everything crossed.
Your hubby.
Norm.
P.S. 
We just heard that tomorrow night would be the last mail call here for us.  The mail that comes between then and the time we leave will be forwarded.
I love you
Norm.

No comments: