Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter # 361 May 3, 1944

May 3, 1944
Wed eve.
Sweetheart;
Another lazy day.  Didn't do a thing this morning except lay around the barracks and wait for the officers to inspect our clothes.  The inspection was for the purpose of checking the marking and the shortages, if any.  Our own officers checked first, then the Lt.Colonel himself came in and looked around and then this afternoon another batch of officers checked.   Hell of a lot of checking and double checking, seems to me.  Also looked over all our personnel things to see if there was any identification of any kind among them.  Address, patches, pictures, and everything like that.
Everything of mine was O.K. until they inspected my billfold.  I threw the old one away and had the new one with the pictures.  I damn near lost my two pet pictures of us.  The ones we took at Pop's last fall.  You know, the titty one and the one you had the cards made from.  They showed the armored force patch a little and that is no good according to them.  I finally talked them into letting me scrape the patch off so I could keep them.  I liked those pictures and hated like hell to think of loosing them.  They are darn good pictures of you.  Show you off very good.  I look at them quite often and get a delicious little thrill every time.  Make me long to get hold of you again and squeeze you close.  I love you so much honey. 
I finished my book this morning while waiting for the inspection and so I had to look around for another for tonight.  I found a couple murder mysteries in the waste can and will work on them for the next few days.  This is sure army life as I have heard others talk about.  Not much work and lots of time off to read and fool around.  It's fun for a change but I still prefer to be busy.  The boys are getting so full of piss and vinegar they are hard to keep in control.  They expect to go overseas soon anyhow and they don't give a damn.  Go out and get drunk every night, get in fights and raise hell in general.  The old man is content to lay on his bunk and watch and daydream about his wife and what they will do together when this is all a memory.  No kidding, honey, I spend a lot of time dreaming about us. 
I used to think that I wouldn't have anything to dream about after I was married.  Wouldn't have to dream about what my wife would be like. or what it would be like to be married.  Thought it would be a peaceful, comfortable existence with not too many thrills or much excitement.  It's hard to believe how wrong I was.  I've got so many more things to dream about about now that I can never find time to really catch up on them.  They are very exciting dreams, at times too. 
I really love this married life honey.  If I could only be with you all the time, I'd be as happy as any one ever could be.  See how much you have changed my ideas and how much you did for me when you said "yes".  That was a big day in my life sweetheart. 
This afternoon I was supposed to stay for the inspection, but I fucked off and worked at my carpenter job.  Got it all finished too.  Don't know what I'll do tomorrow.  Have to find something to keep me out of mischief part of the day at least. 
I didn't get any mail again today so I don't have any to answer. 
Can't think of anything else to gas about so I guess I'll clean up and go after one of my murder stories. 
Night, sweetheart.  I love you so much I can't believe it myself.  Can't be me.  Whoever it is, I'm satisfied as long as I have you.  You're my sweet wife.  I  loves you darling.  I love you so much I'd easily turn to stone for you.
Your lover
Norm. 

No comments: