Monday, May 16, 2011

Letter # 363 May 5, 1944

May 5, 1944
Fri eve.
Darling;
Another week nearly gone.  It won't be long now and maybe we will know something.  Fooled around most of the day doing nothing much.  Played ball for a couple hours this morning and again for a couple hours this evening.  We started cleaning the barracks, washed all the windows but that didn't take long.  About one window per man.  I helped out in the supply room for a little bit and lay around the rest of the time. 
Beautiful day today for a change.  First clear day in nearly a week.  Hope it stays that way for the next few days. 
We had our last mail call this evening.  No more mail until we get where we are going.  If you get this letter before you get the change of address card you might as well not write until you get the new address.  I'd probably get them all at once anyhow.  Of course if you want to write, I sure as hell will read them.  I like your letters even when they are old ones.  Once in a while I find one that I didn't throw away and I always read it over again and enjoy it too.  I'll keep writing as often and as much as I can during this business.
I got your Monday letter today.  You were a little ahead with your feeling that we were on the move.  Not yet honey.  I can appreciate the suspended feeling though.  Army life is very uncertain at any time, but right now there isn't anything at all certain about it. 
I hope you do receive the short notice you are looking for.  You will too if it's at all possible. 
Married life didn't either make a bald head of me.  I had that before I was a married man.  Everything has been so perfect since I've been a married man that I wouldn't be surprised to find I was gaining instead of loosing hair.  I know darn well that if I am still loosing it, it isn't from worry over my wife or from mistreatment.  So there too. 
I'm going to make this a short one, sweetheart.  Night, darling.  I'm loving you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: