Thursday, May 19, 2011

Letter # 364 May 7, 1944

May 7, 1944
Sunday
My darling wife;
This is probably the last letter I'll write you for several days.  I'll have to take this one to the post office to get it mailed.  I may write some in the next few days but I don't think they will be posted.  I wouldn't be able to say much anyhow. 
I fucked off on you last night and didn't write.  I went to the show instead.  It was "Thousands Cheer".  It was a fairly good musical and sure had plenty of stars and headliners in it.  It's been so long since I've kept up with the movies and the stars are changing so fast I don't even know who took the leads.  The girl had a very pretty cute face but she sure could have used some of your body.  Nothing at all exciting about her.
It's another beautiful summer day.  Plenty warm but not too hot.  Bright sun, blue sky, few white clouds and a nice breeze.  We aren't doing anything.  Whole company is off duty.  Part of the boys are out smelling around and the rest are loitering around camp, playing cards, games, or like me, just taking it easy. 
I did work most all morning on my fatigues.  These new ones we have are sure zoot suits.  Two piece with only two pockets in the trousers.  They are about bushel capacity and one on each hip, not in the back like ordinary pants, but on the side.  Go damn near down to the knee and I almost need a stepladder to get to the bottom for anything.  To make the story short.  There wasn't any watch pocket so I spent most all morning putting in the watch pockets.  Oh, I'm becoming quite a seamstress.  Awkward as hell with a needle but I got it done.
I wore my new suntans last night for the first time.  It sure feels good to have clothes that almost fit again.  First time in over a year that any of my clothes have been even close to a fit.  There isn't room enough for another man in the ass of these clothes.  The shirts could be taken in a little down the sides but otherwise they are O.K.
Hope you get a chance to see them, not because of the clothes but because I want to see you an awful lot.
It really does look and sound like this is "it", but anything can happen.  There is another tank battalion here that has been closer than this, twice already and missed the boat both times.  They have now made a quarter master battalion of them.  Nothing at all sure until it happens so I am still hoping and planning.  If we're
lucky - Boy oh boy - if we aren't, then the Boy oh boy will have to wait a while and then it may be permanent.  Let's hope it's soon.  I've had enough of separation from you to last me the rest of my life.  I've had about thirteen months too much, in fact.  I loves my wife and I miss her like hell.  You're a wanted woman, honey.
I've got two letters here to answer, Tues. & Wed. ones.  They gave us mail today.  Very nice to get letters from mummy.  I'm sure going to be hurtin when I can't get one every day.
I knew you would understand "cousin Bill", but I think you are taking it too completely.  He has moved about four hundred miles north.
The hours at the library do sound about like you.  You can sleep until your 9 or 10 every morning.  That's going to get you in a very bad habit I'm afraid.  You won't want to get my breakfast for me.  I do think it would be a good job for you though.  I'd keep track of it and then if I do go over you will have something to do. 
Don't worry sweetheart. If things even look very good you'll either get a phone call or a wire and I'll have everything you speak of taken care of and written down so I can give you the dope on everything.  Now don't be "hanging" on the phone because I don't have any idea when I might call, if I do.  It will probably be a wire. 
Mickey is on his way.  Well, best wishes to him.  I hope Louise can settle down better than she did last fall.  It's tough but can't be helped, so what the hell?  It won't last forever. 
Too bad Pop is having trouble getting his work done this spring.  It's rather late anyhow.  Maybe I could send him a tank to do his work with.  Don't know where the hell he'd get gas enough to run it though.  I see the Gazette said the weather is swell and the crops are going in.  Gosh, they should be, it's getting along in May already. 
You speak about wishing you could know where I am and what I'm doing and etc.  I don't blame you but I don't think it too good an idea that you do.  That's why we made no arrangements.  I had thought of it.  Look at it like this.  If you knew where I was and also knew that a big battle or a lot of fighting had occurred in that section you would worry more about it than not knowing where I am.  It's terribly uncertain and leaves you at loose ends but I believe it's better this way.  It's a hell of a note, I know, but what isn't about this war?
If this was ten years ago I'd be tickled to death if we did keep right on going, but as it is I honestly believe I'd be glad of a chance to stay here where I can be near you.  I'd give up most anything to be able to have you with me.  It may be unpatriotic but damn it all I'm in love.  Unconditionally in love and you're the whole thing.  Now, don't that make you feel bad?  It doesn't make me feel a bit bad.  I love my wife. 
Well sweetheart, I guess I'm about run down for this time.  Next letter I may know something worthwhile.
I'm glad you could see the resemblance in the nude picture I sent.  I've never seen one that looked better or more nearly like you.  Gosh, honey, it would make any man leave home.  Bye, sweetheart, I love you so much.  You're my wife.  You're gorgeous, luscious, and oh, just all kinds of nice, desirable things.  I love you.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: