Monday, May 2, 2011

Letter # 357 April 29, 1944

April 29, 1944
Sat. eve.
My gorgeous wife;
I didn't get any letters today and I haven't much to say.  Afraid this will only be a note.  Nothing new happening at all and it's rather hard to write.  What little I do know I can't tell you about.  I can still tell you that I love you ever so much.  That's one thing that I will always be able to tell you anyhow. 
I took my packages down this afternoon and sent them off.  I sent them by Railway Express instead of parcel post.  One of them was rather bulky and wouldn't go in the mail box, so I thought it better the other way.
You can pick them up sometime when you are uptown.  They'll probably send a card when they arrive and then you go to the express office and get them.  The book I spoke of is in the big package.  I've sent almost all the extras I had.  Couldn't even keep an address book.
I have been trying to find out about taking a camera but they say that is up to the P.O.E. authorities.  In some theaters they allow them and in some they don't.  Anyhow I'm going to have Marg send the camera to you and if I can have it, you can send it or bring it to me.  I hope to hell it will be bring.  There are, I believe, a couple rolls of film in the vanity table drawer and I'll tell Marg to get some if she can.  If you get a chance to buy any, buy it. 
I got a letter from Steve today.  I may be reading between the lines but it seems like he was trying to say that they might be ready to go, at last.  Be funny if we went in the same unit wouldn't it?  The boats he has in his outfit are likely to be some of the same that will land us when we go into action. 
We've been having a regular dust storm here today.  It hadn't rained for a couple days and the sand on top is dry as powder.  Brisk south wind and it sure is driving the dust and sand.  I've wiped my foot locker off three or four times today and I can easily write my name on it again right now.  That's a new experience down here.  I've never seen it before.  It's plenty warm too, even with the high wind and the sun under. 
After I walked to the Express office I was so sticky and crusted with sand I felt like a big hunk of sandpaper.  You wouldn't have liked me then.  I'm all sweet now, though.  Had a shower and am all ready to do some high powered loving only I don't have anyone to love.  Maybe I should go back to DeRidder and see if I can get anyplace with that redhead I saw last week.  Think I have sufficiently recovered from the workout you gave me to be able to stay with her a little while.  Aw, hell honey, it's no use.  I can't even get a thrill out of thinking about any girl but you.  You're just too damn nice.  Even redheads can't compete when they are right here and you are way back in Ohio.  What you got, honey?  Whatever it is it's what I want.  I love you Tootsie Wuggles.  Wasn't the picture I sent a very good likeness of you?  I'm not speaking of the features.  Only the body.  I think if I had only seen that much of it I would have thought sure it was you.  Sure made me tingle. 
Well sweetheart, I'll write some more tomorrow.  Night, lovely, I love you so much.
Your hubby
Norm.

No comments: