Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Letter # 358 April 30, 1944

April 30, 1944
Sunday.
Hi Sweetie;
You are a sweetie too and lots more than that.  You're my wife and that says a lot.  I like "wife' and all it means to me.  Very nice thing to have.  Wouldn't be without you under any conditions anymore.  You're sweet and I love you like hell.  As I have read someplace, "I love you so much my feet hurt."  Maybe it's the "half foot", but anyhow, I hurt, and I think it's all over. 
Putting in a lazy day, writing letters and getting clothes in shape.  This afternoon I expect to read all afternoon.  I've got a Zane Grey book, "Twin Sombreros" that is a good shoot 'em up western, so I'll be unconscious most all afternoon. 
So far I have written to Steve, Marg, Mom and now you today.  Afraid I'm almost wrote out so you may get short changed.  I'm getting in the habit of short changing you on letters, lately.  Can't seem to find much to say.  Guess I'll have to go back to writing naughty ones.  The only trouble, they may start censorship any time now.  That would be an eyeful for someone wouldn't it? 
I got your Wed letter today.
Don't worry, honey, I'd keep on loving you even if you didn't write at all, but don't you go putting me to the test on that.  I like your letters too much. 
So Ronnie [Nichols] has gotten Mick and I separated, has he?  He is a cute kid.  In fact most of our friends have had such good luck, I'd be tempted to try our luck.  Probably be a moron or worse.  Did I write that?  Why?  I must be getting old or something. 
Honey you're not very charitable.  Don't you remember that when we dug our basement we worked most of the time by lights and didn't think it half assed?  Of course that was me, and you're not supposed to think me half assed in any respect.  You promised to honor and obey till death do us part.  Didn't you?  You sure have and more.  You're the perfect wife and I'm not kidding. 
Sweetheart, you seem to have your routine twisted.  You should take your exercises in the morning instead of at night.  They wake you up and pep you up for the day's work.  I hope you don't think I'm holding you to this exercise routine.  It's good for you but it was your own idea.  All I ever tried to get you to do was some walking or something like that. 
I agree.  The way things sound anything can happen.  I'm still planning the same old way until I definitely know something.  If things don't turn out right though, I surely don't want you to be a "bitch on wheels" as you say, to the people around you.  Remember how you disliked Louise's attitude just before she went to Texas?  You won't be that way either.  You just think you will.  You're too sweet to be a bitch.  So there too.
Art's offer, if it was an offer, and I expect it was, is surely a generous one, but I don't think we'll even try to take the car that far unless we are sure I'll be there a good while.  That's a long way from home. 
Damn it, Chubbins, I can't think of anything else to write today.  Hell of a note, isn't it?  I can tell you I love you and always will and am waiting for the day when I can show you again.  I might not be able to talk much then either, but I can sure express my feelings in actions.  Bye "Bubbles".  I love you so much.
your hubby.
Norm

No comments: