Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Letter # 359 May 1, 1944

May 1, 1944
Monday eve.
"My Wife, what's madly in love with me & me too"
That is some ending for a letter, especially for a teacher.  I can murder the English enough for both of us.  You don't have to do it too.  Never mind honey.  Even if it wouldn't take any literary prize, I know what it means and it's sweet.  Sounds like you too.  I love you, sweetheart.
We are still having our dust storm by spells.  Right now the wind is blowing like hell and the sand is sure flying across the country.  It gathers in drifts in all the ditches and behind buildings, much like snow.  It surely isn't as nice as snow to be out in though.  Stings like hell.  Funny we've never had anything like it down here as long as I've been here.  Guess La. is going to show us all she has before we get out. 
They are still fucking around.  Can't seem to make up their minds when we are going to leave.  Maybe another week or so now.  Hard to tell.  True army style.  Hurry up and wait and wonder.  I'm getting so it doesn't bother me much any more.  I just take it as it comes and don't worry much about it.  Some of these days we'll move and a few days later we'll know where we are.  I suppose then we won't know if we are staying or going over or what.  Almost impossible to plan anything.  Nevertheless, I'm still planning and hoping to see you for a while.  Will too if I can do anything about it. 
I got two very nice letters from you today.  Your Thurs & Friday ones.  That puts the mail on the schedule it used to be on way last fall.  I probably won't get any tomorrow and that is the old "no mail Tuesday" I guess.  I'll answer at least one letter now. 
Honey, it isn't very complimentary when you say you wish I were there so I could mow the lawn for you.  But complimentary or not, I'd be more than glad to mow your lawn or most anything else you wanted done if I could only be by you.  That would be worth almost any hardship I might have to endure.  Then think what I'd do, if necessary, to be treated like you always have.  Honey, I'd do anything for you.  No shit.  I would.
I know that it's hard work to mow the lawn.  When I bought that mower, I thought I was the only one that would be using it.  It's way too big for a woman.  Biggest one made for hand power.  It's a very good idea to get at it early and keep ahead of it as long as you can.  It might be that things won't turn out way and you will be there all summer.  I hope to hell you aren't. 
Sounds like Tony is really on his way.  Glad he got his T/4.  I imagine he feels better about that, at least.  It's tough to leave a wife and go across but I guess it's one of those things.  Can't be helped. 
I want a wife for lots of reasons and the main ones aren't sewing on stripes or cooking either.  I want my wife most for companionship, you know, just having her around, and for loving.  You know that too!  She's the best loving ever came down the road. 
Gosh yes, it is the first of May already.  Time is sure going by.  It begins to look doubtful if we will be settled or know what is what by the time you are through with school.  Maybe you won't have to run out on your picnic.  I hope you do.  I'm ready to see you anytime again. 
I spend quite a lot of time, dreaming about how and when we will meet again.  I get an awful thrill out of thinking back over the times we have met after separation for months and living them over again.  You're always so glad to see me.  Eyes just shoot stars or sparkles or something and you look so beautiful and sweet and comfortable and alluring all at the same time.  Gosh, honey, I love you something terrible. 
Honey, when I get back to stay, you're going to have a hell of a time getting away from me for even an evening of bridge with the girls.  Oh.  I guess I won't be quite that selfish, but you're going to have me following you around an awful lot, pestering you and everything.  You better get your going by yourself out of your system now, 'cause when I come home.  Well, Ive told you what to expect. 
It's sweet hell to love anyone as much as I love you, sweetheart.  Bye now, Chubbins.  I'll be seeing you in my daydreams.  I loves you, honey.  You're my darling wife.
Your hubby
Norm.

No comments: