Friday, May 20, 2011

Letter # 367 May 14, 1944

Sunday
May 14, 1944
My darling wife;
Mother's Day again.  How did you like the one I sent you and the little note on the back?  It sure is a different Mother's Day than I remember last year.  Then I was getting so damned disgusted with the army and as near to being homesick as I will probably ever be.  It's different now.  While I'm missing, and as homesick for you as ever, I've become used or adjusted to the rest and we are in a camp that is so much better, there isn't any comparison at all. 
I expect I missed a good dinner at Mom Kelser's, but I sure can't kick on the food here.  Here is what we had for dinner.  It was as good as it sounds too. 
chicken broth                     olives
chicken-a-la-king               radishes
[on toast]                           Dressing
Fresh peas                         cranberry sauce
Flake potatoes                   Lettuce hearts
                   Cup cakes
                   apple jelly
                   Coffee
There now.  How's that.  A few weeks of this and the army would have to re outfit me. 
Baker and I were taking in the camp last night.  It's strictly on the ball.  Good P.X.'s that even sell milk shakes & etc.  Plenty of shows and we didn't have to fight a line to get in either. 
We saw "Once Upon a Time"
I can see now and believe the tales other fellows tell of camps they have been in.  I guess we really did hit the worst of the camps after all.  Maybe that is why I appreciate this one so much.  There are some rather nice ornaments too.  W.A.C.'s.  Haven't seen a redhead yet, but I'll keep looking. 
Now to answer the rest of your letters.
You keep working on that library job if you think you want it.  Looks like you might need it.  The difference between your salary now and that isn't enough to consider. 
How about the tires?  Will you be able to get any for that purpose?  You may want to go home to your folks this winter.  Anything you want to do has my approval.  Leave the place idle, rent it, or sell it, or whatever you want to do.  If you decide in a hurry don't even wait for word from me.  Do as you think best.  You're capable of making decisions for both of us.  I mean this.  Do whatever you want.  Remember it. 
Too bad the school board couldn't have given you the raise this year. 
Honey, you're as egotistical as ever aren't you?  What makes you think that artificial means would guarantee any better results than natural.  Must be you think me the weak link in the chain.  You're a devil, but I love you so much you seem an angle to me. 
Ohio isn't the only place it rains.  It's raining here today.  Not hard, but raining. 
The train fare isn't bad at all.  $146.00 for round trip Pullman.  If it should happen that you can come, that is the way I would expect you to travel.  It's much the best for so long a trip.  The round trip wouldn't be much more than one way anyhow. 
I sure hope you can make the trip.  It still isn't at all impossible, although improbable.  At least it's very possible that sometime in the future you may be able to come.  So hang on to some of your money.
Haven't had a mail call yet today.  I guess this about covers your others.  I have one of Jim's to answer so I'm signing off.  Bye, sweetheart.  I'm loving you and wishing you could be with me.  Sure make a happy man of me.  I love you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.
 

No comments: