Friday, June 3, 2011

Letter # 370 May 17, 1944

West Coast
May 17, 1944
Wednesday.
My Sweetheart;
Another day, rainy one too.  Must be the rainy season of the year. 
I got a chance to have my teeth really inspected and I have to have a couple filled tomorrow.  They are only small ones that Stan never will work on but the army wants them all fixed up.  Glad to get it done.  I can forget about them again for a year or so. 
Honey, you never told me that story about the memorable night when, as I maintain, you only grunted and went to sleep.  You should have told me that long ago and I wouldn't have kept teasing you about it.  Of course I have to accept your word for the reaction it caused.  I guess I can believe it though, when I think how you made up for it when I came back.  You were as glad to see me as you have been these times I've come home on furlough.  That is another scene that is forever stamped in my memory.  I loved you then but I love you a lot more now.  Think of that.  After these years I should be willing to see what is on the other side of the fence.  I'm not even curious.  You have me well wrapped and tied and I'll stay that way until I get home again.  Then it will be up to you to see that I stay tied.  I don't think you'll have much trouble.  I love you mummy. 
I got your Mon. & Tues. letters today and also your Thurs one.  The Thurs. letter came direct and the other two were forwarded.  I guess that brings me up to date on your letters for now. 
I thought you would appreciate the card and get a kick out of my comments.  It's funny now, but at the time I didn't know if it was very funny or not. 
Seems like Mickey and I are about in the same stage.  What he is going through now is the same as here.  The same things apply to me, so you know what to expect. 
I had found out since I came back that the allotments for the upper grades had been changed.  I was wrong.  That evidently went into effect while I was still at school and I never happened to hear of it. 
I do like your hair best the way it was, but I like it anyway.  It's you and that is all that matters to me.  I haven't much room to talk about hair anyhow.  You could sure find plenty to say about my lack of hair. 
You're not kidding. It is tough to not be able to see you, but it would never be any different even if I was seeing you all the time.  I'll miss you like hell any time I'm away from you.  It won't be forever.  The time will come when I'll be home for good again and this will only be a bad memory.
You didn't loose much time starting to read my book, did you ?  I don't know if you'll be very wild about it or not, but it has the "spice" you seem to enjoy in your reading.  He sure did all he could to have a good time and never really accomplished it.  Just another arrangement in favor of our way of looking at having a happy married life. 
I'm very content to keep on the way we started out.  I think we were lucky. 
That's about all for tonight darling.  I'm getting fat & sassy and I'm sure missing my sweetheart a lot.  I'm madly in love with her, you know.  Night, sweetheart.  My one and only love and wife.  I love you.
Your loving hubby.
Norm.

No comments: