Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Letter # June 25, 1944

New Guinea
Sun. June 25, 1944
Hello Sweetheart;
Another day.  It should be Monday by the look of things around this tent.  We mechanics have been doing our washing.  The first one in nearly a month and boy is it a dandy.  All of us had everything we owned dirty.  I dumped the old sweaty ones out of a barracks bag and then needed a clothespin on my nose to handle them.  They were bad to affect me that way. We cut a gasoline drum in half, set it over a trench, and built a fire under it.  Let them boil for about a half an hour and they looked, smelled, and felt an awful lot better.  That is wash day. 
We had a very good chicken dinner today.  In lots of ways we are better off than at Polk,only the powers that be don't seem to realize that we aren't supposed to be a parade outfit.  I'm hoping they soon realize that they are only the same as the rest of us.  All here to do a job and do that job in the most efficient manner possible.  Keep all the "chicken shit" for the home outfits. 
That's enough bitching for one day.  I guess I'm a little homesick, but not much.  I am missing you an awful lot and that is probably the biggest reason I have for discontent.  I'm getting plenty to eat, plenty of sleep, and fresh air and am feeling swell. 
I've got to go to work now so I'll finish this later.  I love you darling.  Did you know?  I haven't been telling you very much lately, but I do.  So there too.
Hi darling;
I'm all through now so I'll try to get a couple more of your letters answered.  From the sound of things they must be holding your mail up someplace along the line. I had at that time been writing every day and they shouldn't come in bunches a week apart.  Another one of the armies' efficient methods.  I guess the main thing is that you get them.  Mail has been coming in pretty good over here.  I've had two bunches so far.  I guess I haven't commented on the birthday cards.  They were nice.  I can see that you found the one similar to the Christmas one after you had already sent the other one.  It's cute.  Gee, I'm glad I gotcha, honey.  You're a sweet girl and I love you so much.
The explanation about that never to be forgotten night is accepted and I won't tease you very much more about only grunting and going back to sleep.  You devil.  I never will quite be able to forgive you for disappointing me so much.  Good thing it was only a week.  Probably wouldn't have been that long if I hadn't gone fishing for a week.  You acted as I expected you to when I came back.  I'm expecting as nice or better welcome this time too.  Think so? 
You can rest at ease about my looking on the other side of the fence.  Down here one look is plenty.  Don't want any more.  I'm as safe as though locked up as long as I'm here.  In any case, I have never cheated so why start now?  Hell honey, I love you and I'll wait for you.  
You don't need to worry about me loosing my figure.  That belly I started is all gone and will stay gone as long as I'm in the tropics.  Hot weather is a mighty fine reducer.  I'd sooner take the diet method though.  Remember it?  20 lbs in three weeks.    
Honey, the beer you talk about sounds plenty good but the reaction you mention sounds a lot more interesting.  I'd go without beer or any drinks for the rest of my life for that.  Gosh, it gives me the wiggles just to think about it.  I could go for a lot of your brand of loving any time now and for always. 
I've told you many times.  Have all the fun you can.  If you can get it from a few bottles of beer, why, go to it.  I'm not worrying a bit about what you do.  You can be trusted.  I know. 
I'd have liked to see you in your new green polka dot outfit.  You got it for me to see, but - if it looks half as good as that black job, what you would do to me would be something.  I still maintain you can be very beautiful and glamorous when you want or be just a homey, comfortable girl at other times.  Sweetheart. you'll always be beautiful to me.  I mean it.  Bye for today my beautiful.  I'm loving you as always.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: