Sunday, August 21, 2011

Letter # 411 July 5,1944

New Guinea
Wed Eve.
July 5, 1944
My Darling;
I bet you think I'm becoming quite a playboy.  At the beach, swimming again today.  Brownie, Mac and I went to a new place.  The beach was better decorated than the other.  About a dozen nurses were swimming there also.  You may not believe it but I looked from a distance.  I prefer to stay numb in that respect.  Don't  realize so keenly what I'm missing.  It also keeps me from getting any ideas.  I'll wait until I can get home and then you can give me ideas. 
This new place the surf was rolling in.  It was always quiet at the other place.  It was as much fun as any swimming I have ever done.  Dive through the breakers or float and let them lift and drop me.  I think I'm spoiled now for fresh water swimming.  Guess it doesn't make much difference.  You never liked it very much anyhow.  I like you very much in a bathing suit.  You got what it takes.  I love my lovely wife.   
After we got a bit tired of swimming, we went coconut hunting and got three dandy's.  I'm gnawing on one now.  There are plenty of them only most are green now and they are hard to get off the tree.  I'm not native or monkey enough to go up the trees, so I almost have a sore arm from throwing rocks.  Most of them are up 40 ft or more.  I saw enough coconuts to supply the US today.  Lot of banana trees too only they are just forming fruit.  No ripe ones at all. 
Sweetheart, you surely are doing a swell job of keeping the mail coming.  Three more today.  June 14, 17 & 21.  The 21st was a V-mail.  You evidently wrote another the same day.  We'll see how long it takes to get here.  I don't like them even if they are quicker.  Only get started and out of paper.  I like those nice, long, sweet, loving letters of yours.  You can do a good job of loving even at long distance.  You're a peach and I love you. 
Now for a little business.  I sent you some of my excess money today.  77-10.  Know what that means?  we are paid and all our money is Australian. The same as English.   That is 77 pounds, 10 shillings or in good old U.S. money $250.00.  I'm having a hell of a time trying to use this money.  I've still plenty left and in the next few months will probably send some more. The money may get there before this letter.  Do as you please with it.  No good to me here.  Buy yourself a present and make believe I sent it.  I am sending you lots and lots of love all the time, and saving a stock of lots more to bring home with me.  I'll have to, to live up to what you tell me in your letters.  You're the one laboring under delusion.  I like it though and I'll try not to disappoint you.  Some of my dreams wouldn't be disappointing, I'll bet. 
Bye, Tootsie Wuggles.  I'll be seeing you in my dreams.  I love you.  You're my wife. 
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: