Sunday, August 14, 2011

Letter # 408 July 2, 1944

New Guinea
Sunday aft.
July 2, 1944
My beautiful;
Hello honey.  How yu' are?  I'm swell and still loving you as much as ever.  I really don't have much to say today. I'm going to do what I've been trying to do for some time and answer your letters.  I'm starting on your May 31 letter now, so you can see how far I have gotten.  Terrible aren't I? 
Honey, you were wasting a lot of sympathy on me.  However I like to have you thinking that way about me.  The suspense before moving wasn't nearly as bad as you think.  I've gotten used to that in the army and take things pretty much as they come.  The only thing I can't get used to is being away from you.  That's the hard part.  I can't beat it and I don't want to, either.  
You can't be any more disappointed over not being able to say "happy birthday" to me than I am.  Don't care about the birthday part, but I sure would have liked to see you.  You're beautiful you know.  Sweet too.  Gosh, I love you wifey dear.
Yes, I can imagine how Jean feels, knowing Gus is going to be home.  I know how people said you acted and I know how you looked.  If I ever saw love and welcome in any face it was on yours.  You don't need to think we are any different either.  The last days before going are so damn slow going by and all the trains seem to crawl.  You have to wait and we try to push things faster. 
No need to apologize for writing in pencil.  It says the same thing as pen.  I like 'em any way or on any thing.  There may be a lot of mine in pencil too and I'll expect you to like them.  So there too. 
I can't quite see myself going out the first day I was home and you not going along.  Golf or fishing or anything else could wait.  I didn't even care to go much without you when I was home all the time.  Gus must like his golf.  I like my wife.  
I'm glad the old strawberry patch is coming through with a few berries.  They usually aren't very nice the second year.  I hope I am home in time to take advantage of the ones you are freezing. 
Yes, honey, I'm perfectly safe and sound and will be if I can do anything about it so your premonitions are all right. 
I'm proud of the way you are taking it.  Keep the old chin up and take care of yourself. 
You may have been in a doze when we saw "Lady in the Dark", but not any more than I was.  I was mad when the show was going on 'cause I couldn't see you.  I think I have already told you what I was thinking about that night.  It sure as hell wasn't the show or even Ginger's legs.  You know what it was. 
I have just been going over your letter of the day you saw Steve.  Honey, if seeing him could always make you write such sweet letters, I wish you could see him every day. 
I had expected he would tell you his guess as to our destination, but seeing I have been able to say, it doesn't matter.  Gosh, honey, that was a sweet letter. 
We were advised of  the invasion of France over the ship's address system.  We didn't and haven't had many details like you would get.  Bare facts.  I bet there was an awful lot of excitement in the cities.  A preview of what will happen when the final break comes.  That will be something to celebrate about. 
I can sympathize with Gus and his red days.  He was foolish to go golfing wasn't he? 
So you had another little trouble with the old car.  Good old Art to the rescue again.  We're owing him a lot. 
You can keep on telling about the wildlife and everything about the place when you run out of things about you.  I like to know all that there stuff.
Now I am up to June 9 so I guess I'll leave the rest for a no letter period.  Bye, for today, my lovely.  I'm loving you madly.  Wish I knew more expressive adjectives. 
your lover
Norm.

No comments: