Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Letter # 405 June 29, 1944

New Guinea
Thurs. aft.
June 29, 1944
Hello Beautiful;
I mean that too.  Every time I look at your picture, and I do that frequently, I can't help but think you are a damn good looking girl.  I wish I had a picture of you the way you looked that last night in April.  As you have phrased it, you just glowed.  I never thought about it before, but maybe you were glad to get rid of me.  I'm only kidding, honey.  I know you weren't.  You were only being a very brave girl and giving me a good send off.  You did.  I'll remember that as long as I will some of the times I came home.  You were so sweet I had to get away from you fast so I wouldn't be tempted to tell Uncle Sam to go to hell.  I guess I told you how close I came to taking you along at the last minute.  If I had known we would be there as long as we were I would have too.  It's nice to think about but rather useless now that it is all past.  Just another mistake I made. 
There is no mistake about my loving you and that's for sure.  Gee, I'm glad I gothcha.  I wancha all the time.  If you knew how much I miss you, you would have a fair idea of how much I love you.
This letter writing business is going to get tough down here.  There is so little I can tell you.  About all I can do is answer your letters and tell you I love you.  Write a lot of things I can comment on or I'll have to resort to some naughty letters and that might embarrass someone. 
You mentioned seeing Lt. Slack's name on the censor stamp.  I don't think I told you before.  He is from Cleveland.  Rocky River Drive.  He is quite well acquainted with the Medina area and occasionally we have a talk about places and things.  When I worked for Stevens I used to peddle eggs past their place. 
We are on a schedule now that gives us quite a lot of time off so a-swimming we will go.  We have an outdoor picture show three nights a week and that comprises most of the things we do.  Last night was the first I had gone to the show.  It was slightly reminiscent of the old days when we went either to Creston or North Randall to the shows.  If it rained then it didn't make much difference but it rained us out last night in the middle of the show.  It was "It Happened Tomorrow".  I don't know if it was old or new.  Never heard of it before. 
Sweetheart, I don't care how "stale or cobwebby" my hoard of sugar gets.  It will always be good.  Beside, it won't stay stale long.  I bring home some stale stuff too. 
If. as you say, I'm sadly disillusioned about you being beautiful, I'm going to stay that way.  To me you are the "best looker" in all ways and all over, I have ever seen.  I've done a lot of looking as you well know, so my opinion should have some value. 
Anyhow, and regardless, I'm in love with you and getting deeper and deeper all the time.  You're a peach and no fooling.  Bye now darling.  I'm loving your picture, for want and lack of the real thing.  I love you.
your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: