Sunday, August 14, 2011

Letter # July 1, 1944

New Guinea
Sat. Eve.
July 1, 1944
My Darling;
The first of the month again and pay day.  I had a big pay and I've got more money than I can possibly use over here now, so I'm sending some home.  Do what you want with it.  If you want or need anything don't be afraid to spend it.  That is what it's for.  The army takes care of sending it.  I think it will be this Wed.  Tell me when you get it.  It'll get there late but you can replace what you had to put out for my insurance and what I had to beg from you last fall.  I don't mean that "beg" the way it sounds.  I didn't have to beg you for it.  You were more than willing and generous.  You're sweet and I love you. 
I changed my laundry day this week.  Did it today.  Wasn't as big a job as last week, but still plenty.  They don't get so dirty but they sure stink from sweat.  All clean again, even me.  I had a bath too. 
Nothing much to say today.  I guess I'll make the rest of this letter comments on yours. 
Oh gosh! I did forget one news item.  This afternoon the Red Cross visited camp and handed out cold drinks and cake .  The drink, some sort of lime juice concoction was good and cold.  That is rare down here.  The cake was a brown one and damn good.  There were also two fairly young white girls.  First I'd seen since leaving the states.  That was a treat also.  So far in my experience the Red Cross gets my vote and appreciation for what they do for the boys.
Gosh, sweetheart.  I got another letter today.  The one from the 15th.  It explains about the letters from Mick.  Remember?  The 16th came yesterday.  You should have her four letters beat a mile.  I wrote almost every day.  I don't know why, only it seems closer to you when I write.  I love you, honey. 
I guess you have your wish about requests from me now.  Don't ever worry about you not doing something.  Just you keep on writing those nice sweet letters all the time and you'll be doing plenty.  Your letters really keep me going and I'm not kidding.  Next to you in person they are the things I want most. 
About the lighters.  You'll probably ask why I asked for others.  I ran out of wicks and can't get any.  The flints are the same as all lighters.  It isn't so good here.  I can't keep it dry.  Sweated wet all the time.  That's enough comment on the new letter until I get to it in rotation. 
I'll try to control myself enough next time, so I don't break any of your ribs, but no promise about you feeling like you had run into a door.  That will all depend.  You were all right last spring and it wasn't because of any let up either.  You can be sure I don't and won't forget many High lights in my life.  You tell me to keep on planning on that honeymoon vacation when I come home.  Well there isn't the slightest danger that I will forget it.  Something drastic would have to happen to change my plans on that. 
Again you mention what we thought had happened last fall.  You must really be sold on the idea.  I'm willing but I don't know about the able.  Anyhow, since you presented Gus Maitland with the last package, you had better be sure and tell me if you change your mind by that time.  I won't be expecting to be careful. 
Gosh, honey, I hope that vacation isn't too long coming.  We'll have so much fun I can't hardly sit still from thinking about it. I could love you and love you and love you right now and for always. 
You're wondering, if under the same circumstances, we, Mick and I, would be as nice and accommodating as Art is.  I doubt it.  He sure is being swell.  There is one condition where I think I might be as nice and that is if I had as nice a war widow as Babe to look out for.  I think I could better him there.  As for the general run, no.  No one can help being nice to you, honey.  Look how you broke old hard shell me.  Gee, Babe, but I love you.  I'm glad I gotcha.  Night beautiful.  I'm loving you. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: