Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Letter # 402 June 26.1944

New Guinea
June 26, 1944
Monday.
My darling wife;
Hello beautiful.  How we doing today?  O.K. I hope.  Might even be that you are on your New York trip.  I hope you didn't want to hear from me 'cause if you did you might miss your trip.  That would be too bad.  Have a good time, honey.  You've got it coming. 
Don't worry about the army doctor's advice to the soldier.  It might be very good advice but as far as my experience goes, not at all necessary.  Just not as contented as might be.  I'll be the same as I always have been.  All for you and you alone.  You better treat me nice when I do get home or no telling what I might do.  You still don't seem to realize that I love you and am going to keep on loving you.  You're a sweet old devil. 
I sure would have liked to see you playing ball at the school picnic.  I bet that was good. If you're as stiff and sore as you say, I'd think you really got into it.  Remember how I used to like to watch you play tennis?  For some reason I spent more time watching other things than the ball.  Of course, I imagine your kids are a little young to appreciate it like I did. 
I was interested to know if I was writing much that could be censored.  I didn't think so and from what you say, I must not have been. 
Don't be too hard on the "parkers" in our drive.  After all it is a good secluded spot and maybe they aren't as fortunate in having trusting parents as we were.  Good old days, but we've had better since and will have again. 
I thought you should get a little laugh out of the story about cleaning my teeth.  That girl dentist was "built" and if you recall how a dentist has to lean over and against you, you can imagine my predicament.  I didn't know whether to be a gentleman or take a bite.  It was tempting to say the least.  Then I remembered I was a married man.  I would probably have had all my teeth knocked out anyway, so I didn't.  I'll save it until I'm sure I won't be slapped down.  Watch out honey, I'm speaking of you. 
The reason you see so many censor names is all the company officers take a part in it. 
Yes, Decoration Day was a bit different from a lot of them we can remember.  I was taking my usual trip but I can't say I was really enjoying it.  Not even as much as last year.  I went to Lake Charles, remember?  It was my first time out of camp and I was lost without you being with me.  I still am.  I won't feel all together again until I get back to you and know I don't have to leave anymore.  That's how much you mean to me. 
Well darling, I'm getting a few of your letters answered.  Bye, sweetheart.  I love you with all my strength and everything.   
your lover
Norm.

No comments: