Friday, August 12, 2011

Letter # 406 June 30, 1944

New Guinea
Friday, June 30, '44
My chubby sweetheart;
The last day of June already.  Time is flying and every day, week and month is getting that much closer to the time when I'll  be home again. Fifteen months already and when I came in I didn't think I'd be gone any longer than that.  I sure didn't know what I was talking about.  Yesterday aft. Gebby and I went swimming and while we lay there in the cool water with only our heads above water we did a little wishful thinking or dreaming or whatever you want to call it. 
We thought it would be swell if, when we come back, we would land on the west coast and be there a week or so, anyhow, long enough for our wives to get there and then we would be free to go back to our reception centers any way we wanted and with no very definite time to get there.  Then we could kinda have a honeymoon trip all the way home. We weren't planning to make a foursome.  That was only a way of telling it.  Now of course that is only a dream and as improbable as dreams usually are, but it's fun to dream about.  Wouldn't a trip like that be something?  I know I'd like it.  A real honeymoon all over again.  I'm sure going to keep it in mind and if the opportunity presents itself in any way, you'll sure get a rush call.  Can't waste any time without you if I can have you with me.  I'll never again object to your coming anyplace.  That'll be up to you and if you can't stand it you can always go home again. 
That is all just another way of saying I love you, I'm missing you, I'm thinking of you and I wantcha a hell of a lot.  How am I doing, honey? 
We got our months ration of cigarettes today.  Three cartons, also two cigars, and a plug of chewing tobacco.  I immediately traded my cigars and chewing tobacco for that many packs of cigarettes.  I guess we can't buy any so they are as good as money.  Won't hardly be enough for me but it won't hurt a bit to cut down.  I smoke too many anyhow.  See, I can't even spend any money even if I want to.  I should be able to save a little toward that fifth honeymoon.  Gives me thrills to even think of it. 
Had another show last night and it waited until the show was over to do its raining.  It was "Destination Tokyo" I expect you may have seen it.  I thought it very good.  Another one tonight.  We're doing O.K. on our shows anyhow. 
I got three letters from you and one from Vi yesterday.  The missing one from June 4 and then June 9 and skipped to June 16.  They surely don't come in rotation but they get here and that's what counts.  You and Vi must have been having quite a night of it.  You were quite a bit more coherent than Vi, however. 
You mention hearing from Mick.  That wasn't bad and you should have the letters I wrote on the boat by now.  You poor war widows waiting for mail, is over.  Now all you've got to wait for is me.  I love you, sweetheart.
I have been saving your letters to answer when I can't think of anything to write. So far I haven't answered many.  Guess I better get on the ball.  I'm starting on May 27th now.
I'm glad you and Louise are hitting it off so well this time.  She must have been off her feed last winter.  No honey, I'm not worrying about the wolf situation in your case.  I'd trust you anywhere, anyplace, anytime.  I can even feel sorry for the "wolf" that would try to get fresh.  You are a husky girl when you want to be.  You're my wife and we're in love. 
Tell your Mom.  Thanks a lot for the Gazette.  It hasn't caught up to me yet but when it does I'll have a whole armful to read. 
I believe you about the lawn not being too much for you, only I want you to understand I'm not expecting you to keep it up unless you want to. 
I can agree with Hood when he said you have a darn nice personality but I can't say I like having him say you might not be good looking.  If I needed any confirmation of my opinion I have it in the admiring comments of the boys when they see your picture.  To me you are more beautiful than any other girl alive.  I mean it.  I love you, darling. 
your hubby.
Norm.   

No comments: