Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Letter # 413 July 7, 1944

New Guinea
July 7, 1944
My darling;
Hi my lovely.  It's me again.  It's raining like hell this morning.  Has  been all night, so while I'm waiting on it to stop, I'm starting this letter.  Rain is nothing unusual down here, but it usually has been raining at night and clears off by day.  It's only missed a few nights since I've been here.  Sounds nasty doesn't it?  It's not all bad.  Doesn't get very muddy.  An inch or so on top, enough to be slippery and as soon as the sun comes out, the dust is flying again.  If it wasn't for the rain I'm afraid it would be unbearably hot.  I had goose pimples when I crawled out this morning.  Probably not cooler than 70 degrees or 75 degrees  but in contrast to the days it was cold.  Boy do I sleep.  Go to bed at nine or before and sleep to 6.  9 hrs.  Can you imagine me sleeping so much?  Sleep like a log all night.  No one to disturb me.  Damn it. 
Now for the question of what you can send me.  I hardly know what to say.  I know you want to do things like that and get a big kick out of it.  There is so darn little you can send that would be much use to me.  I have no place to keep anything and when I move I can only take what my bags will hold and they are already full of clothes and equipment.  Here are a few of the items that I can think of.  Tobacco and ungumed cigarette papers.  The ones with glue would all be stuck together.  It's a fight to keep envelopes so they can be used.  Cheap pipe and cheap cigarette lighters.  Writing paper of the air mail type.  Small carborundum sharpening stone, pocket size.  Harold will know.  That is all of that kind of things I can think of.
In the eats line.  Candy is about all that would get here in any kind of shape and that wants to be of a kind that doesn't melt easily.  I imagine that sealing in tight cans would help preserve most things.  [Tin cans.]
All the camera film you can buy or steal. [Size 127].  Waterproof  tobacco pouches can also be used to good advantage to keep matches, billfold and etc. dry.  Now don't be silly, honey and spend much for any of these items.  They are apt to be lost long before they are worn out anyhow.  I mean that. 
There, does that give you anything to go on?  Don't make it much unless it's things to eat.  That can be disposed of quick. 
I wish I could send you something but there isn't anything here to send.  You'll have to be satisfied with written declarations of love.  I've plenty of that. 
I expect unless you changed your schedule that you are back from your visit to Ed & Betty.  Hope you had a good time and got acquainted again.  I should write to them I guess.  Send their address if you think of it.  I expect Tiffin, O. would get them.  I may try it. 
Hello Miss assistant librarian.  Next to school teachers I always had a soft spot for librarians.  I think maybe they have advanced to first place now.  I know one that I love an awful lot.  Don't worry about the money.  You've plenty to live on.  If you like the work is all that is important.
You aren't the only one that can look at pictures.  I have yours tacked to the side of my packing box table and can see you all the time.  Darn good looking girl too.  You had better imagine me without my glasses now, 'cause since I've been here I quit wearing them again.  Too much sweat.  Need windshield wipers.  Never miss them. 
I'm glad your days are going by so quickly and easily.  That helps a lot.  Also glad the lawn isn't so bad this year.  I didn't get a chance to fertilize it, may be the reason.  You're doing a very good job, honey.  I know you are keeping things in very good shape and I'm proud of you.  Bye, sweetheart.  I love you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: