Sunday, August 28, 2011

Letter # 412 July 6, 1944

New Guinea
Thurs eve.
July 6, 1944
Hello Beautiful;
How's Babe today?  You can tell her I love her very much.  You can also tell her that I want a date for a honeymoon starting the first day I'm out of the army and lasting forever.  She'd better accept that date too or I'll - well, I don't know what I would do.  Kidnap her I guess.  
I haven't anything new to write today so I'm going to spend all my time on your letters.  I worked all day so I haven't done anything I can talk about.  Didn't get any letters today.  I've got several here I haven't answered yet.  I'm keeping all your letters now, just in case I have a long period of no mail.  I can always read back
over them and enjoy them alot again.  You write very nice, sweet letters. I like 'em.  I love you.
Now for June 12 letter. 
If a shopping trip to Cleveland is a good moral builder for you, you must do it as often as you want.  Don't be silly about not wanting to get or wear anything new as long as I'm not there to see it.  I'm flattered that you think that much of my opinion.  You know I like to see you in new things and then again I would sooner see you in one of my old sweatshirts and a pair of slacks.  Look damn good to me in any kind of clothes.  Other ways too. 
Don't worry about my moral honey.  It's in good shape.  I have my ups and downs the same as anyone, but for the most part, I'm as near my old self as I'll ever be as long as you and I are separated. 
It did tickle me, after all your bragging, that you did dream of Steve again.  Such a dream too.  That was almost as good as you ever dreamed of him.  It's a good thing you went on to say how much you loved me or I would have been jealous.  You might be surprised but I was tempted to tell Steve to really carry a message of that sort.  The idea struck me once, the day I was with him.  It tickled me to think about the surprise all around, but after thinking about it, I decided it wouldn't be so good.  He, just a newly married man.  I still wonder what would have happened if I had asked him. 
You aren't so smart.  I also saw the show, "Her Primitive Man" here in New Guinea.  That's about what I'll be like when I come out of here.  A very primitive wild man only I won't be as conventional as he was.  That's a warning as well as a promise. 
You aren't only talking for yourself when you say, one day closer to our D day and may it come sooner than we can ever dream of.  I'm having an interesting time and enjoying a lot of it, but I sure as hell would make a bee line back to you if I had the chance. Seeing places and things is O.K. only I've changed.  I'd be content to never see any place but home and anyone but you.  My wandering days alone are over.  Definitely.  The trouble with me is I'm in love. 
I was glad to hear about Funny.  So he is in India and on Special Service now.  That usually means, in charge of recreation, shows, athletic supplies, and things of that sort.  In short, all those little added attractions that make the boys away from home a little more satisfied.  I would think that was in his line more than commander of a co.of  Negros. 
I see the next thing you bring up is the subject of what you can send me.  You sure are persistent along that line aren't you?  I'll not be ornery and I'll tell you about it in tomorrow's letter.  This one is almost bulky enough.  Until you hear more you can keep on sending me love.  That is what I want most.  Night sweetheart.  I love you so much. 
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: