Monday, August 8, 2011

Letter # 403 June 27, 1944

New Guinea
Tues, June 27, '44
My Darling;
Hi, Babe, you old sweetheart.  I love you.  I was just thinking.  As I'm writing this it is noon on Tues. here and you are probably just finishing supper on Monday.  We get the new day first and then it comes around to you.  Funny isn't it? 
Today I had another new and not too pleasant experience.  We were out in the jungle hewing a workbench out of a log.  We got two nice five inch thick by two feet wide planks all cut out and then started to carry them out to the road.  Except for stumbling over logs and vines and getting all tangled up we got it out all right and went back for the other.  Instead of going the long way like we had with the first, I thought we could save some work by going another way.  All that seemed to be in our way was a narrow tangle of brush which I thought we could throw the plank over and then go around and pick it up.  We threw it but it didn't quite go over.  Went around and tramped in to where we could reach it and found we were in the middle of an ant hill.  The ants are only about the size of ours at home.  That's as far as the resemblance goes.  They are red and vicious.  I think I moved as fast as I have ever moved getting out of there and then I guess I looked like a windmill for the next five minutes, trying to get the ornery devils off me.  They bite like hell but no lasting effects.  That taught me a lesson I won't forget for a bit.  I'll look before I step next time. 
Had the afternoon off and took a trip for a swim in the ocean.  I wanted to try it once so I went.  Nice, sandy beach, quiet, clear water and gosh is it easy to swim in.  Bet you could even swim in it.  I can lay on my back and float like a log. I think I could stay afloat several hours in salt water.  Don't care much for the taste of it though.  It was fun and very refreshing.  The scenery isn't much in comparison to other beaches I've been on.  No cute little tricks to look at and talk about.  Only G.I.'s. 
When I came back I had two more letters from you.  Two of the missing ones, June 6 & 7.  That only leaves the one from the 5th and the chain will be complete to the 9th.  That isn't so good and yet I guess we can't expect very much more.  It's a hell of a long way home and I don't mean maybe.
I'll make a few comments on your letter of the 27th. You can double the cussing you did when you couldn't come to meet me.  I was very skeptical but I was hoping up until nearly the last.  That was so much to hope for that I couldn't give it up.  I couldn't ask for anything better than that three weeks at Knox.  The best of my army life by a long way.  Gosh, honey, you were so nice to come home to.  I even used to miss dinner so I could get there sooner.  Gosh what might have been. 
I do love you so much darling.  I can't begin to tell you how much.  You'll have to wait till I can show you and may it be soon.  Night, sweetheart, I love you.  You're my wife.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: