Monday, August 15, 2011

Letter # 409 July 3, 1944

New Guinea
Monday. aft.
July 3, 1944
My Sweetheart;
I missed a day on mail yesterday.  I've been lucky and get at least one almost every day.  That's swell 'cause I sure like my letters especially the ones from my sweetheart.  They are a damn poor way of loving but a long way better than nothing.  We never were like lots of couples, did half their courting by letter, so I guess we'll do ours now. 
I've taken a break since I started this.  Went to the ocean for a swim once more.  Swam around for a while and then started hunting shells and chasing crabs and generally teasing all the sea life we could see.  Had a lot of fun.  I'll do that as often as I can.  This ocean business is all new to me and I find it very interesting.  Sounds like a vacation doesn't it?  Well, maybe it is, but I can't really call it that as long as you aren't around.  Sure I have fun and enjoy myself all I can but always there is something missing.  I don't like doing things without you.  You more than double the enjoyment of anything I do.  I guess I'm in love.  Think so?  I do love you so much honey. 
When I came back I had two letters from you.  One written May 29 and one June 12.  I thought I had all up to June 9, but you fooled me.  The one you wrote at Mom's after you had been to the cemetery. 
I hadn't thought of where Steve would stay while he was home.  Like you, I don't blame him for wanting to be by himself [themselves] in a case like that.  I know I wouldn't want to be interrupted especially when he may only be able to be with her a short time before he too is sent over. 
I guess I was wrong about the birthday cards.  You did send them at the same time.  I'm gradually getting all the letters pieced together in rotation.  They're all very nice, sweet, brave, and happy letters too.  You're a darling.  My darling, sweetheart, and Wife.  Gee, I'm glad I gotcha! Can't imagine what I would do without you.  I love you honey. 
Now I'm reading the June 9 letter, written at Vi's the night you stayed there.  Vi wrote one too, and of the two, you seemed to be in a little better shape.  I believe you are getting so you can actually hold your beer.  Vi was complaining that Geo was on the swing shift and she didn't have anyone but you to sleep with.  Golly I wouldn't think that anything to complain about.  I'd just about break my neck to take her place.  It would be a celebration instead of a disappointment.  I'd love you and love you and love you.  Don't know how much farther I could continue that line.  Fill the page maybe. 
Go ahead honey and drink all the beer you want only don't get so you can't "float".  I like you that way. You know why too.  Bye again, sweetheart.  I love you and am impatiently waiting for that day. 
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: