Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Letter # 431 July 25, 1944

New Guinea
Tuesday
July 25, 1944
Hello Sweet and lovely;
I told you I was going to write you another letter and a good one too??  Well at least I have good intentions of as much as I can send at one time.  I'm on the easy end of the guard detail now and have been writing letters all morning.  Work hard don't I?  I don't think I'm really lazy, I'm just saving as much of me as I can for the day, when from all you say, I'll need it and probably more.  It sounds very attractive though and I'm ready to start anytime.  I'm going to use most of this up in answering your letters.  I'm getting behind again.  If keeping mail coming, and all girls were like you, would help to win this war, it should be over soon.  No kidding sweetheart, they help ever so much.  They provide the high spots in my day.  I love 'em honey.  I read them all over several times.  Some of the real special sweet ones I've almost committed to memory.  Don't think because I'm not keeping your letters that you can back out of anything you've said.  You can't.  I'll remember it as long as I live.  You're stuck with me for good or bad.
You say you could live on kisses and all that goes with it for at least a week and want to give it a try.  I do too, and the way I feel now I think it would be possible.  That's one side of me talking now.  When I really think about it, I'm afraid it's stretching things too far.  The spirit is willing but I'm not so sure of the flesh.  I'm sure I won't have any weight to spare or excess to use up for energy.  I'll need plenty of that fulfilling your expectations and any promises so don't you think we can squeeze out a few minutes a day to fill my belly a bit?  Now don't misunderstand.  The eating will be purely secondary and only a means to an end.  I'll do my damndest, honey, even trying to increase the number of Effingers in the world.  Is that a satisfactory promise? 
My squeamish wife, as you call yourself, has shown that it was all a case of not knowing how much she was really capable of doing.  I know you could do a lot of things you said you couldn't but I never did expect you to be as capable in all ways as you are.  You are doing a grand job.  I'm so proud of you. 
If you like to hear me say we are partners I'll keep on saying it.  I always tried to treat you as such only you never seemed to care much about the business end of our partnership.  You were doing your part being the best little wife a man ever had.  Kept me happy, satisfied and well fed.  What more could anyone want?  If you want I'll take over the business end again when I come back only I'd just as soon you had your say in it also.  I really do think that is the best way.  Two heads are always better than one.  You are a 50-50 partner in any way you want to participate.  It isn't a case of yours and mine.  It's ours.  Together, we can do anything we want and be so happy it'll be unbelievable.  Right? 
Now I'm going back a way to your June 29 letter which I got last night.  It may be a little old but I like to answer all of them.  You say so many sweet things that I just have to comment on.  They aren't nearly all true  but I'm glad you think they are.  Hope you never find out you are wrong. 
You're right.  There are so many things we had planned to do around our place and were doing when we were interrupted.  It's been almost 16 months now.  I sure as hell hope it won't be more than a fraction of that time longer before we can start in again where we left off.  Of course you may have your hands full with the talked about little ones but I think we can still manage to do all we have planned and more.  Did I surprise you by not objecting to your hopes for a little Velma?  The objection is a thing of the past.  All that remains is the ability??
From your letter you certainly didn't pass up the opportunity of learning all you could about the business while you were at Ed's.  The information may be handy.  Who knows?  I did know most of the mechanics of it.  Now we both know. 
The code cable address is the one you would use to send an urgent message by wire and get it here quick.  You see it is really the same as an A.P.O.  The code numbers are used because you don't have an exact address. 
I'm glad to know how the package system really works.  You don't send much of anything but what I ask for.  It has to be small and mostly things that can be disposed of quickly in case of a move.  I'll be glad to get anything in the eat line anytime and tobacco etc.  I'll mention the Gazette again.  If a request is necessary to get it over here, I'm requesting it.  Newberry will probably know about it. 
Thanks so much darling, for the box already on its way.  Hope it doesn't take too long for it to get here.  Well I'm about up to weight on this letter.  Bye, my darling wife.  I'm loving you and waiting. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: