Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Letter # 422 July 17,1944

New Guinea
July 17,1944
My Darling;
I wish I could put all the expression in that salutation that I'm feeling and would be able to put in the spoken words.  I think I'm in a specially sentimental mood tonight anyhow.  I've just come from the show.  It was
"In Our Time".  Ida Lupino playing the lead.  If you have seen it you can probably understand my mood.  It is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.  The love story mixed into the entire show was very beautiful.  It brought a lump in my throat more than once.  It reminded me so much of our own love story.  Ours is also very beautiful.  You're every bit as sweet, generous and understanding as she.  Like him, I need you an awful lot.  You're my inspiration, my wife and sweetheart. 
Now honey, that is over, I'll get back to normal.  You say your letters might sound queer or even a bit screwy to me.  How must some of these things of mine sound to you?  I ramble around a lot and repeat myself time after time and yet never really get things said the way I mean to say them.  I mean every word of it though.  I hope you can understand what I mean.  If you can't here is something you can't mistake.  I love you and miss you so damn much I'm hurtin.  You're my wife.  I love you when I'm happy, I love you when I'm sad.  I love you when I'm blue.  I'm never very mad atcha so I love you all the time. 
I got your July 4 V-mail today.  They seem to come a bit quicker than air mail but they make me so damn mad.  They aren't at all like you and you can't say much more than hello and goodbye. 
I'm surprised at the news that Steve may possibly have been shipped.  He really wasn't expecting it at all.  If it's true, he'll be hurtin.  Leaving a new bride almost before they have time to get acquainted. 
I also had a letter from Harold.  It was written on May 29 and sent regular mail.  It was at the same time that you had been in spreading the news of getting a whole bunch of letters from me at once.  He thinks you must be in love the way you bubble over about even getting a letter from me.  I can imagine.  Your ability to be so pleased and happy over most any little thing is one of the reasons you're so lovable.  You're the sweetest thing.  I love you. 
Johnny got another bunch of pictures from his wife that were taken on the trip to the coast.  I have ordered a set, so some time in the next couple months you will get another batch from her.  Most of them aren't very good but some are swell.  I'll explain them to you some day.  Soon, I hope. 
Well, sweetheart, it's my bedtime again and another day off the waiting period.  Bye darling.  I'm loving you and sending lots of squeezes and the kind of kisses you like.  I love you. 
your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: