Sunday, November 13, 2011

Letter # 425 July 20. 1944

New Guinea
Thurs. Eve.
July 20, 1944
Hello Sweet & Gorgeous;
I guess I should have a dictionary or something so I could find some different and more expressive adjectives to apply to you.  You'll be getting tired of the same old line all the time.  I'll tell you what.  You can look them up for me and tell me all about them in a letter.  Don't take that dictionary as a request.  You tell me some new ones that you would like to be called and that will be sufficient.  It may be necessary to invent a word or words of my own.  I doubt if anyone has yet found a word that exactly expresses what I think of you. 
You're so darn sweet, loving, loyal, beautiful, intelligent, efficient, and passionate or comfortable as the occasion demands that it's going to be a problem to find the right ready made word.  "Perfect Wife" is as near as I can come to it and, as you can see, it's weak.  Can't forget that I love you so much I hurt good all over.  That must be in there too.  You wrestle with it a while.  I can't get anyplace. 
I know you'll think I'm silly, but damn it all, you are everything to me so why shouldn't I want something real nice and expressive to call you?  In case you haven't realized it, I'm in love with you.
I could go on and on like that and still not fully say what I'm feeling or do justice to the subject.  Oh hell!  I have to leave it go until I can show and tell you all about it at the same time.  Does that make you anxious for the day to come ?  It doesn't me.  No - not much.  I'm hurtin plenty.  Almost enough to say to hell with everything and take off swimming back to you.  Bet I'd be water logged by the time I got there.
I'm all right, sweetheart.  I didn't get any letters to answer so I'm just rambling and saying whatever is in my mind.  Seems like a certain very lovely girl is taking up most of my thoughts.  It's always that way.  When I'm busy I only think of you every few minutes but when I'm at leisure I think of you all the time. 
This date, July 20, brings back the start of one of my most beautiful memories.  Know what it is?  You should.  You'll probably look it up to catch me so I'll admit I don't know the exact date but it's darn close.  Remember the teasing letter I wrote?  I said I had some very good news to tell you in the first part of the letter and then didn't tell you what and asked you not to peak.  Then after several pages I told you I was coming to Knox and wanted you to come see me there.  Sure, you remember.  You read it to Jean and it even gave her goose flesh.  Wasn't I a devil?  The truth about it is I was so happy and excited at the prospect of seeing you again I couldn't help building up the suspense before I told you the great news. I was missing you so much and slowly finding out how much you meant to me and had no slightest expectation of seeing you so soon that it was the most thrilling suspense I had had up to that time.  You probably wonder why I say up to that time.  Well, darling, since that time you have given me some very thrilling surprises too.  Get me?  You know, things like the chair incident at Wilkerson's was expressive of.  Gosh, honey, I still get a buzz out of it.   
I can't imagine Hartman's thinking I was nervous because the bus was late when I was all jumpy and fluttery and darn happy 'cause I was going to have my wife for a while again.  They were teasing you all the way down because of the way you acted.  It must never have occurred to them that I could have the same reaction.  They just don't know me do they?  I loves my wife so much.  Then we had to spend time looking for rooms and go out to camp before we could really see each other. 
I did sneak, no not sneak, just squeezed you and kissed you and - well can I help it if my hand over your shoulder wouldn't behave?  Then we sat and talked on the porch swing.  Gosh, honey, everything about that three weeks is as clear as though only a week instead of a year has passed.  There are lots of things like that, that have happened to us I'll never forget.  I wish I could write another letter with as good news in it as that one.  Our day is coming and this time I think we can enjoy it to the fullest.  No thought of being separated soon again to mar the perfect relationship.  Well, honey, this is it for today.  I'll be dreaming of you.  I love you. 
Your doughboy.
Norm.

No comments: